General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

using too much gas... help

Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
ujawa69
Unregistered
Default using too much gas... help

i have a 90 accord lx all stock and she is using entirely too much gas. i have black smoke when i excelerate hard. i think i am running too rich. i have a bad exhaust leak and i am thinking that is what is causing me to run rich. how can i fix this/? and im not sure if im posting this in the right section, so if im not, please let me know so i can correct it. thanks for any advice or direction to this problem.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome new member!
Right section, but more information. What engine; fuel injected or carburated?
How are your normal tune-up things? Spark plugs, etc...

Old 06-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Welcome new member!
Right section, but more information. What engine; fuel injected or carburated?
starting with the 1990 accords , they are all injected, ( assuming car is in the USA)

like JIM says chk the tune up related items, what i have seen a few times is an injector not sealing and dripping thus causing a rich condition,, any codes ?? where is the exh leak at ??\could also be a bad tw sensor ,

needs to be diagnosed properly

Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM
ujawa69
Unregistered

typical tune up things are in decent condition. i do need to check the injectors. the engine i believe is a f22a1 but not possitive. the exhaust leak is in front of the cat on the stock flex pipe. that will be entirely replaced as soon as i have the money... could be a while. lol. the engine light comes on only periodically while im driving it. at an idle it never comes on. i notice it coming on when i am slowing down still in gear. but i havent checked the code yet. i put an intake on it yesterday after i posted this and it has been running right since. more air and its not running as rich i think. and what is a tw sensor?
thanks for the tips.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Normally an exhaust leak blowing onto the outside of the O2 sensor would mess up the measurement. But your O2 sensor is up on the manifold, where it probably doesn't see the leaking exhaust... or does it??

TW sensor is water-temperature sensor for the fuel-injection computer (not shared with the dashboard temperature gauge). I just looked real quick, & can't tell for sure. Desert will probably chime in. It almost looks like that sensor is in the thermostat housing, but that's where the fan switch is located in later years. I'm not sure without a repair manual for 1990.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:58 AM
ujawa69
Unregistered

i am pretty sure the exhaust leak isnt being picked up by the o2 sensor. and i still havent been able to check my chk eng linght. how do i check it? i had a 93 del sol and i had to pull the carpet to get to the ecu then cross two pins and count the blinks with the ignition stitch on. anything like that?? and i think i know what sensor your talking bout. wouldnt surprise me if its bad. lol. like i said, everything under the hood is pretty much original. lol. but thank fr the advice and help. time to go find a manual. lol.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check DIY library for procedure to extract OBD1 codes on 90 Accord. Connector is under dash, above the pax side kick panel, w/ two wires org/red and grn/wht. It may be plugged into a dummy plastic receiver rather than hanging loose.

good luck

Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM
ujawa69
Unregistered

much appreciated texashonda.