General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

v6 oil leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well,I have to eat my words! After letting it sit overnight it is wet around edge of pan..How do ya tell if it's leaking somewhere above and just leaking down?? Surely the pan sealant isn't bad after only 110k miles??Here's a pic of what was just done to it 6mnths ago.

Attached Thumbnails v6 oil leaks-20141230_122110.jpg  
Old 12-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lit549
Well,I have to eat my words! After letting it sit overnight it is wet around edge of pan..How do ya tell if it's leaking somewhere above and just leaking down?? Surely the pan sealant isn't bad after only 110k miles??Here's a pic of what was just done to it 6mnths ago.
I'm still doubting your pan gasket is leaking; I also have a 2001 V6 Accord, with 160,000 miles, and it is dry as a bone on the outside.

As for leaking higher up and running down; that is more likely. Were I in your shoes I'd buy some UV leak detection dye along with a UV "Blacklight" and UV Safety Glasses; that makes leak detection easy.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Well,guess I was right the 1st time!! I cleaned it really good ,let it run and only oil leaks there is,is the corner pan bolts (2) towards passenger side of engine..No where else..Wonder If I could just silicone the bolts and reinstall??

Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

The oil pan bolts hold the pan against the engine block, so oil must be leaking through the gasket. I'm not sure if your car has a gasket or just hondabond.

A cam seal leak would cause oil to drop down to the pan. When you say the corner bolts, is that the side of the engine next to or opposite of the transmission?

Old 12-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The bolts that are leaking are on the belts side.One on front side of engine and one on the rear.I was thinking the Honda bond must not be sealing between oil and the bolt..Man,not looking forward to doing the reseal!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

After further inspection I can't figure out where it's coming from,one pic is where oil pump mates to block by the idler,running down from cam seals?? Oil pump adhesive bad causing leak? The other pic is where oil is coming from,again I can't tell where it originates,oil pump?Cam seal?? I tried the dye with uv light and it helped but can't see where the leaks are from.ALSO,I found oil leaking from cam thrust covers on back of engine,also engine mount bolt (porous block?)..I wanna disassemble the front of engine to investigate but if it is the oil pump,how hard is that? I'm not sure if I should do that or send it to some9ne.What would you guys do???Thanks

Attached Thumbnails v6 oil leaks-2015-02-14-14.37.34.jpg   v6 oil leaks-2015-02-14-14.36.46.jpg  
Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by lit549
After further inspection I can't figure out where it's coming from,one pic is where oil pump mates to block by the idler,running down from cam seals?? Oil pump adhesive bad causing leak? The other pic is where oil is coming from,again I can't tell where it originates,oil pump?Cam seal?? I tried the dye with uv light and it helped but can't see where the leaks are from.ALSO,I found oil leaking from cam thrust covers on back of engine,also engine mount bolt (porous block?)..I wanna disassemble the front of engine to investigate but if it is the oil pump,how hard is that? I'm not sure if I should do that or send it to some9ne.What would you guys do???Thanks
The V6 is known to leak from the rear main seal. You have to take the transmission off to get to the main seal. It is not an easy DIY. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It isn't leaking from rear main,pulled inspection plate and it's dry.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Do like Shipo stated and run some dye in the oil to exactly locate the leak.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I used the dye,I still can't see where it's coming from,looks to be from oil pump cover but it could be coming from above that and running down..I know the only way to know for sure is start disassembling, but to be honest,if it's the oil pump I'd rather pay someone to do it..UNLESS it's something I can handle??I'm pretty good mechanically,just never messed with hondas..

Quick Reply: v6 oil leaks