General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valvetrain noise and trans issue, new member

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Default valvetrain noise and trans issue, new member

Hello, new to the form. I just purchased a new to me 1998 accord LX auto. I had a couple of problems/questions since I am not too versed in Hondas I was hoping I could get some help. First at idle I have a little bit of a rough idle (not to worried about the rough idle) but with it is a knock/tick. It doesn’t increase or get louder (actually it goes away) as I raise the rpm’s so I doubt it’s a rod. I am guessing it is in the valve train (I don’t know if these engines are prone to valve train noise like the 4g63), or it could be the crankshaft pulley/harmonic dampener, it looks like it is starting to separate the outer pulley is strait but the inside has a wobble to it at idle but straitens up as rpm’s increase. The second issue I am having is with the trans, is seems to shift a little erratic and feels like it is staying locked up and lunging when slowing down to a stop. Also if I try to take off quick from a rolling stop it feels like its staying in 2nd for a spit second and not going all the way down into first and hesitates for a split second then kicks into first. Also when I am slowing down from 3rd or 4th to stop I see the rpm’s drop fast and catch themselves and come back up a couple hundred rpm’s, not slow and smooth like they should. I am planning to drain the fluid and cleaning the solenoids. Just wonder what else I should be looking at and if anyone else has came across some of the same issues and what fixed it. Thanks and I appreciate the help. Sorry about the long post.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:58 PM

How’s it going, so today I did some work to the accord to try to remedy some of the issues I have been concerned with. I cleaned the lockup and shifting solenoid screens. And drained and refilled the trans once and plan to do it again tomorrow. But the strange shifting is still there? I know these trans are weak and have had allot of problems with 2nd gear band and the differential, but I guess I am hoping that mine isn’t going to be one that grenades. Just curious if you guys think that the trans is going to eat it by the symptoms I have described and how long you think it will last?

Also did a compression test today and numbers came out consistent #1-195, #2-195, #3-200, #4-200. I know they are probably a little high. I think its my old tester, the good thing is that they are all consistent across the board. Was wondering what the stock compression is on the Honda 2.3L?

I am still worried about the knock/tick sound that is persistent at idle so I took a video of the sound and was wondering what you guys think it sounds like? Also I have now noticed a high pitched ringing that you can hear in the video too that I am having trouble figuring out what that might be? Thanks in advance.

Video
http://s717.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=SAM_0138.flv

Last edited by 1998accordlx; 04-18-2010 at 12:01 AM.