General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

very difficult to shift + moves fwd in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM
dvs
Unregistered
Default very difficult to shift + moves fwd in neutral

I have a rather old accord, manual transmission. I haven't driven it for about 6 months because I was out of the country. I came back and surprisingly the battery wasn't dead and the car started fine, but I absolutely cannot shift it. It isextremely difficult. This happens in all gears, neutral -> any gear. Furthermore, when the clutch is fully depressed the car moves forward at a slow rate of speed even when my foot is not on the gas, similar to what happens in an automatic transmission when your foot is off the gas pedal. If I do make it into a gear however, it will stay in that gear. Once I managed to actually get the car into reverse, and then with the clutch fully depressed it moved backwards at the same rate as it would have moved forward had it been in first.

Any ideas what might be going? The car is fairly old so I'm not sure I want to spend a ton of money for a complete transmission replacement, so I hope it's something easier.

Thanks