General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration and obnoxious noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Vibration and obnoxious noise

Since my car belonged to my parents it's been a "noisy" thing, slowly getting noisier over time. After a while it blew a timing belt and sat idly by until it was given to me and I replaced the head. (Naturally with a new head gasket and belts, all cylinders 160 PSI) For a time I thought it was just a noisy engine and nothing seemed overly out of the ordinary, now it's getting worse. After owning a 92 Accord EX-R in between which did not have this problem, I started looking further into it. It's a loud humming noise that is evident after 60 kph and gets slightly worse from there and now it gets worse yet when I steer to the left and lets off when I steer to the right. I've had a few suggestions which were: "worn wheel bearing" or "wheels out of alignment". I don't want to continue driving (especially on the highways) until I get this fixed, I have a long distance venture soon and I don't feel I have the finances before this trip to address both supposed problems. The tires aren't showing much of any unusual wear but I don't want to jump to conclusions. If anyone could help me pinpoint this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Your description sounds exactly like a wheel bearing problem.

If you want to rule out a wheel alignment problem, you can rotate the tires and see if the noise changes.

If you go to the ericthecarguy website, he shows a video on how to figure out which bearing is bad. He also shows how to replace the bearing on your car.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you very much for your input, I appreciate the information sourcing as well. After replacing the brake rotors on my car I know how to replace them and I have a brand new pair of bearings ordered in at a local shop. Thanks again!