General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vroom, vroom SPLAT!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM
00RedAcc
Unregistered
Default Vroom, vroom SPLAT!

Hey guys, new guy here has a problem and Im hoping to get some assistance. I used the search feature and couldn't find anything that matches the issues Im having.

I have an '00 Accord, V6, auto, 117,XXX miles.

I went away for the entire month of August. I came back, started it, and IN PARK AND IN NEUTRAL the rpms are jumping from 1-2K revs. With my foot ON THE BRAKE IN REVERSE, the rpms sit at 1K. Finally, with my foot ON THE BRAKE IN DRIVE the revs are just above 1K but there is a tapping feeling on the brake (as if the car wants to get up and go). I drove it around the block and the check engine light came on.

Are there any simple things I can check on my own? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. Im glad there is a place like this to get help instead of getting pounded by the stealership!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

It would be good to go to AutoZone or someplace like that to have them read the error code. Get the actual number.

But it's probably the idle-control system messed up. In general there's a few things to check on Hondas.

Air in the cooling system. Really. It confuses the idle system. I don't know if the V-6 has a bleeder valve at the thermostat, but you need to remove air from the cooling system.

Throttle must close. Some misguided mechanic used the throttle cable to adjust the idle RPM?

Clean the throttle body. Crud in the bore around the throttle plate can cause this.

Oh yea, NICE DESCRIPTIVE TITLE. (not...)