General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wanna flush out ALL old coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

For the purpose of fill & run & drain multiple times, I put the T-stat gasket (without T-stat) into the T-stat housing. It's not a perfect seal, but pretty good - a few drops of water during the job weren't a big problem for me.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, while my slow typing was going on others spoke out.

Going off the deep end. T-stat out, block drain removed, remove both upper and lower hoses from the engine. Insert hose into both housings - one at a time. If you do this for a few minutes on each.

And we may be giving this over kill

Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
And we may be giving this over kill
Indeed. But hey thanks, big time. I appreciate all the helpful responses here. I can use all the help I can get. And that goes for luck too.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:50 AM

So after I do remove the thermostat, I suppose the recommendation or rule of thumb is probably to get a new one to replace it with upon reinstallation (with a new gasket of course). Well the two parts stores in my small town don't happen to have one in stock for my car. They can get it in several (five or so) days if I wait, 16 bucks at one place or 18 bucks at the other. Proably nothin' wrong with my old one though, but of course it'd be handy to have a new gasket that comes with a new t-stat. Kinda hate to spend the money and wait for a new t-stat if the old one is fine. Unless it's a good idea to change out the stat once in a blue moon. This one maybe has never been changed, at least I can't recall changing it since I've owned the car since it was new. Also I wonder if I even need a real gasket for it anyway. I think I've got some of of that form-a-gasket stuff, or even if I don't could get some in lieu of a real gasket? Comments please. thanks

Old 10-24-2014, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Parts stores? I'd probably get a dealer T-stat. Not too much different in price.
If it's really 22 years old, then I'd say you got your money's worth out of this one.

But that means putting it back together as-is, filling it up, then after a couple days open it up for the new T-stat. If you're "ready" with the new one, you'll still spill a bunch of antifreeze and have to add maybe a pint to fill it back up.

I guess if it was my car & I already had it open or drained, then I'd be tempted to just put the original T-stat back in. Buy a new one to keep on the shelf for whenever it begins to have trouble. But I've got a heater in the garage in case that happens in February.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Parts stores? I'd probably get a dealer T-stat. Not too much different in price. If it's really 22 years old, then I'd say you got your money's worth out of this one.
Yeah probably a good call there. I went ahead and ordered up the Honda part (thermostat "assembly" which also includes new proper gasket). Part number 199301-PAA-306.
Thanks again for your input and further comment(s) JimBlake.

Edit: I cancelled my order for that Honda stat and gasket. Discovered the extra expense from the seller was charging to ship it was too excessive, so just got one from the parts store instead.

Last edited by sgull; 11-09-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Dang, if I would have read this earlier I could have thrown a new gasket or two in the box before shipping it

I don't think I could handle "small towns in Alaska", you are a way better person then me.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 PM

Dang, if I would have read this earlier I could have thrown a new gasket or two in the box before shipping it
I don't think I could handle "small towns in Alaska", you are a way better person then me.
Thanks poorman212 but don't you sorta agree too with JimBlake that I probably got my moneys worth on my 22-year old thermostat by now and would probably make sense just to get a new t-stat instead of just a new gasket? Just askin' man!

And yeah small town here getting parts is kinda a PIA here most of the time. I'm used to it.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

A new set up is always good.

With most things, if I don't know when they were done I assume they are due. At least I now have a base line. My last used car purchase, 97 SE with 125K. I had a document on the T belt and called the shop to confirm - just me. So from there, full tune up, fluid changes, ect.

Yes, I do agree that if I was not sure on the t-stat and had to pull it to flush the system I would put a new one back in. I was just stating a "throw away" gasket would have been ~$1 for me and would have thrown it in the box.

I'll try to give you a good laugh, it is getting into the low 40's at night.....I think I'm going to freeze to death when I take my youngest son's dog for a walk at night...which I need to do in a few minutes.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 PM

A new set up is always good. Yes, I do agree that if I was not sure on the t-stat and had to pull it to flush the system I would put a new one back in.
Yeah if they still make the t-stats like they use to, I figure I should be good for at least another 22 years for the next one. Probably should go ahead and order two, and keep the extra on the shelf all handy to grab next time (in the year 2036), instead of having to order from "out of town" and wait around like this....

Stay warm dude, on the dog walk.

Quick Reply: wanna flush out ALL old coolant