General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warping Brake Discs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:25 AM
MikeB
Unregistered
Default Warping Brake Discs

Hello Everyone,

I own a 2005 Honda Accord V6 4dr. Since the car was new it has had a problem with the rotors getting warped. I havetaken the car tomy dealer on 5 different occasions and they have either replaced or repaired the rotors only to have the problem resurface a few weeks or days later. Has anyone else experienced this problem and perhaps have any suggestions on what might be causing this. My Honda dealership seems only capable of resolving the symptom and not the problem and given that it is two and a half years old my car drives worse than my 1981 Accord.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Warping Brake Discs

You need to have less lead in your foot when brake parts are new. Also, the next time ask the mechanic to fully bed in the brakes for you. Look this up for more info.

....................... and add a signiture!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:32 AM
MikeB
Unregistered

I wish it was that simple. This is my fifth Honda Accord and I have never had this problem in the past. I am not heavy on the brakes and the most recent fix by Honda lasted less than a day.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 AM

Were the breaks properly bedded in? The new rotors could have been warped from the factory. All OEM equipment?

Please add a signiture with info listed below.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: MikeB
I own a 2005 Honda Accord V6 4dr. Since the car was new it has had a problem with the rotors getting warped........................my car drives worse than my 1981 Accord. ..............................
ORIGINAL: MikeB
................................I am not heavy on the brakes and the most recent fix by Honda lasted less than a day.
Usually the most skeptical I get is when I listen to a politician, but does anyone else see anything "slightly askew" with the above posts - particularly the second?

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM
MikeB
Unregistered

Hi Tony,

I am not exactly sure where you are going with this. Care to elaborate with your skepticism?

Mike

Old 10-16-2007, 11:55 AM

He is concerned that your idea of being easy on the brakes would slam the rest of us into the windshield.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:00 PM
MikeB
Unregistered

This is my fifth Accord, I have never experienced this problem before and I have been driving accident free for 27 years. I think that there is a problem with the front end and have little faith in my dealer to solve the problem.

Mike

Old 10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

'Warped' brake rotors aren't alwaysphysically warped. Sometimes you can use a dial indicator to measure & find they're straight.

Brake pad material gets deposited onto the surface of the rotor, and sometimes it's uneven around the surface of the rotor. Thismakes the friction properties uneven.

Bedding-in the new brakes requires a heavy foot.

Find someplace where you can do this without being stupid in traffic.

Brake REAL HARD from about 50 to 10. Almost lockup the wheels. DO NOT COMPLETELY STOP.
Drive around for 5 or 10 minutes & let them cool off.
Do this again several (10?) times.

When you come to a complete stop the brakes are hot. The rotors are clamped in the calipers but not spinning. So the area under the brake pads cools down at a much different rate than the rest of the disk. This influences how the pad material gets imprinted onto the surface of the rotor.

For some reason I don't understand,after you bed in the new brakes like this, they seem to tolerate complete stops better in the future.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:07 PM

do the brakes function properly? You may have a bad caliper that's holding the pad to the rotor, heating it unevenly and warping it. I'd try another dealer and bring the reciepts. Have you been paying for all of these repairs or warantee?

On this forum, there is always the chance that a new driver screws up his car and thinks that he is the best driver in the world. Now we know that is not you. Tony didn't mean any offense, but until now, we would have no way to tell. Since you are new here, you don't have a reputation yet.

Quick Reply: Warping Brake Discs