General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Water on computer connections

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:43 PM
03accord2.4
Unregistered
Default Water on computer connections

Hi all,
I'm a first time Honda owner and new to this forum.

We recently had to tow our 2003 Accord in because it wouldn't start and wouldn't even come out of park. I now know how to get it out of park with the key in the console opening.
After the car was at the Honda dealership, they found that water was on the computer wiring connections and had corroded and caused the problems. I asked if they had this happen to other `03 and up Accords, but they said no.
So they fix the computer with a new one (Warranty good to 80K miles), and clean the connections. We still have to pay over $300 for labor though. The car runs great again for awhile until yesterday.[:@]
My daughter tells me the car won't start again, then hangs up and calls right back to say she got it running and brings the car home. The first thing I looked at was the computer connections again. Guess what, they're wet. I clean the connections and get the car running again, but there are codes and it still stays stuck in park unless I use the bypass method to unlock it.
I then see that there is a rubber hose running in the area of the computer and it's wiring. It turns out to be for the A/C evaporator drain. Well I squeeze the tube and it makes a squishing watery sound, and all of asudden water begins to drain out the bottom of the car. Turns out the drain tube was plugged all the time and water was backing up in the evaporator box and getting the computer wet.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I'm going to contact Honda to have them fix this again, and refund my previous payment as I feel this is a design flaw on their part!

Rick

Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Default RE: Water on computer connections

Just day to day driving can cause the evap drain hose to get clogged - so I don't think it's a design flaw. I'm surprised you didn't hear the sloshing of water in the evap from the blocked drain - or didn't see the water dripping into the car...

Anyways - good work on identifying the problem.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Water on computer connections

The 03 Accord has a cabin air filter, so it should filter out most of the larger debris from getting to the evaporator. You might want to replace that filter using the instructions in the DIY section.

My accord doesn't have one, and I was suprised by how much dirt, helicopter seeds, and bits of leaves were in there when I repaired my A/C.

Unplug the drain to get the water out. If the evaporator smells moldy, try spraying Lysol disinfectant into the drain tube.