General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird grinding, rubbing, clunking sounds - front end

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
jaybeezi
Unregistered
Default Weird grinding, rubbing, clunking sounds - front end

98 Accord LX Auto coupe

Started making grinding and clunking noises a couple of months after I replaced the axles and 2 ball joints. At first it would make the noise in reverse if the wheel moved at all, and pretty quickly after that it would happen all the time.

I brought it to a shop and they said the noise was coming from inside the steering Rack. I went and got one from a wrecking yard, didn't fix it.

Got underneath the car and listened/looked. Seems like the noise is coming from the brakes, but everything looked good. When I was under the car I noticed the front motor mount was broke, so I replaced that hoping the engine was moving too much, and making noises... nope.

Now it drives perfectly and makes no noise when the car is cold, but if I drive it a little bit, shut the car off and then start it again, it starts making the noises.

I noticed the Power Steering fluid had bubbles in it so I was thinking maybe the ps pump was going bad, overheating the fluid / there was air in the system.

Replaced the power steering pump, car still does the same thing. I should mention the transmission has been slipping 1st-2nd, and a little 2nd-3rd now, don't know if it could possible be the trans.

Video of the noise, it's worse in person, with some grinding and clunking thrown in.

Any help would be great,
Thanks.

Last edited by jaybeezi; 08-06-2009 at 07:21 PM.