General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What kind of gas mileage you get?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 09:14 AM
Default RE: What kind of gas mileage you get?

Yeah, but I tried driving slower and couldn't stand it. I do about 3K/month on the 93 traveling for my job, so a lot of time I'm on a bit of a schedule. Occasionally I have to travel the small two lane highways where the speed limit is 55 and I notice my mileage goes up. I have also noticed that any kind of strongwind can play a big part in my MPG. Headwind will take off 3-4 mpg, where a good tail wind can add that many.
Anyone using fuel with a lot of ethanol willlose some MPG (in myexperience). 19accord97, check air filter, timing, you said you've got newplugs/wires, and you might jack the car up and make sure you aren't getting drag from abrake that isn't releasing all the way or something else keeping a wheel from freely spinning.
Lastly,are you running bigger wheels/tires?That willthrow offyour speedometer, make it appearyou haven't gone asfar as you actually have,and will also rob mpg (added weight).

Old 02-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

19Accord97 - Try any/all of the following.

Change plugs/wires to oem/NGK copper plugs, ditch the platinum crap. Keep an eye on tire pressure. Check/change air filter if you don't have an aftermarket intake. Consider changing the oil.What kind of gas are you filling up with? With white smoke coming out of your exhaust it sounds like you might be burning coolant unless its just the normal look of hot exhaust in cold air. If its thicker white smoke and smells sweet...tada...burning coolant.

Try some of that and see how it goes for 2 weeks and get back to us.

Just for an example...

Even with my ported TB and enlarged ports in my head/intake manifold if I drive aggressively I still get better gas mileage than what you're getting now.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM

1st fill up on 08' V6 AT Coupe and got 22.5mpg, probably 35% hwy, 65% street... no flooring or gunning it as im still breaking in, but probably cruised 72mph-77mph hwy

Old 02-29-2008, 02:12 PM
accord___2000
Unregistered

yeah, I tried to slow down couple times but quit, could not stand that neither...

Old 02-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator

i get 23 or 24, but its also winter here and i let my car warm up for a good long time, and i have a prelude tranny so i am at 3k at 60mph

Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for the response guys.

Few questions though:
How would burning coolant affect mpg?
How would the NGK Double Plats. be bad?

-I've got about 200 miles to change the oil. I use Penzoil High Mileage, and fram TRT filters.
-I fill up w/ 87 that always has a 10% blend of ethanol and ALWAYS go to either Mobil, Shell, or BP.
-I'll smell the exhaust next time, and check for a sweet smell.
-Ive been noticing somewhat of a hissing noise from the engine. Not a strong "PSSSSSSS" sound but more of a ligh "pssshhhh" sound. I'll take a drive today, and try to record it and post it up, but my car is pretty loud w/ wind noise and all of that.
-I'll also try jacking her up and spinning the wheel. I think I have done that before and didnt notice anything.
-Every once and awhile ill here a thump thump that I guess could be a rotor. Usually notice it when I slow down and its not veryoften.
-And I have an intake + catback so mpg should go up a little.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:45 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Gonna make a new thread....more stuff 2night

Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Eh...ethanol gas... :thumb down:

My car get's crap for gas mileage with that stuff.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:53 PM
accord___2000
Unregistered

yeah, ethanol sucks for me too
[sm=signs006.gif]

Old 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Ethanol sucks all around, my car with 213k on it, not sure about MPG but I get around 36o miles per tank and thats 60% highway.

Quick Reply: What kind of gas mileage you get?