General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs attention the most??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Default What needs attention the most??

Ok Guy's Newbe to the Forum and the Honda automobile so I am in need of some tip's and pointers so if any of youall can help I would certainly appriciate it! Ok where to start?? I have a new to me 96 Accord EX with a 2.2 lt. engine and auto trans. The car I was told was alway's well cared for so what I'm looking for are the critical issues that need to be addressed. First the PO had no idea when the timing belt was changed last (Teacher)non mechanical. So I am going to check this first along with the all belts and the usuall filters plugs wires etc. I also intend to change all fluids and trans filter if there is one?
Now for the issues. The A/c compressor makes a racket when running suspect a bad clutch or?? Figure to go to local pick apart to get a compressor and replace. Secound temp gauge is not working? The fans do operate so I suspect maybe a gauge issue? The rear tires appear to have some minor cupping so is this an indicator of bad struts? I have yet to take it out on the Highway so not sure if the car is rbounding badly. Other than this the car appears to be road worthy and capable of my 60 mile daily trip. Anything else I should be aware of here?? Oh and what oil & plugs are recamended for a 190k engine....
Thanks in advance for all the help.
R

Old 07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'd change the timing belt because you can't really inspect it. It might look quite good 3 weeks before it breaks.

Auto trans? There's no filter that you can replace. Just drain/fill the fluid & use Honda ATF. The torque converter doesn't drain so you only get about 1/3 of the total fluid. Judge by how dirty it drains out, then decide if you need to do more drain/fill cycles. Get 3 quarts for each drain/fill.

Honda factory sparkplug wires seem to last forever, so maybe just clean them?? Hondas seem to like NGK plugs the best. Stock type is listed in the owner's manual (I don't remember what they are).

I'd use nice quality 5w-30 oil. I've been using Castrol GTX with good results, but lots of oil brands are good. If you keep after it & change it regularly, the brand of oil is less important than the change-interval.

(I'm not much of an A/C guru.)

Temperature gauge sender, fan switches, & temperature sensor for ECU are all different and they don't share information. Below the distributor look for a sensor with a single wire - that's for the dashboard temperature gauge. Ground the wire while someone watches to verify the gauge begins climbing. Take the wire off ground immediately because you can ruin the gauge if you allow it to peg HOT.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanks Jim! Are there any tutorials on the T belt change available? Also I do have some cupping on the rear tires which usually is a good indicator of a stut issueare they tough to change???
Thanks again

Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think there's something in the DIY section about timing belts. Pretty much all 1990-2002 are about the same. Wrench sizes not necessarily the same forever, but you'll get the general picture. Biggest PITA is getting the bolt loose from the crankshaft pulley.

Cupping can be alignment too. Struts look like they're not too hard to change, but I haven't had to do them on my Hondas (yet).