General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 accord wont start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Default 88 accord wont start when hot

the engine will turn over just fine but will not start. its a manual and if i get a little push or roll down a hill i can get it to compression start just fine. only happens in the summer, and after i have been driving for a short time. starts up cold just fine. i believe it is the map sensor. problem is, im not 100% sure where the map sensor is and what it would look like in my car, i believe i have located it on the back of the intake manifold. second question, my friend has an 86 accord carb that he is going to junk. says i can have the map sensor out of his, but since his is carb and mine is fuel injected it looks completely different. would his sensor work for mine and if at all possible could i get a picture of where it would be located in the vehicle..

Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Being that you can push start your vehicle does it crank fast enough to start when you are having the problem? On the map sensor, look up both parts and see if they have the same part number. Are there any stored codes in the Computer?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 PM

the cel comes on every once in a while, mostly in the summer.. but since its obd 1 i cant take it in to be read and i dont know how to do it.. something about shorting out the system. the part numbers are the same, but i just wanted to make sure. it does crank fast enough to turn it over, and sometimes if i hold the key long enough it will start enough that i can drop the clutch and get it started

Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM

At the bottom of the DIY section on this board there is a sticky to tell you how to get the code of your Honda. It is the middle website listed. I can’t think of anytime I have read or seen a bad MAP sensor give a no start condition buy anything is possible. If you post the code stored we can better help you get your Honda sorted out. What is the condition of the spark plugs?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Administrator
Default Reasons for hot , no start

Air filter clogged, fuel not reaching the fuel system , corroded battery cables and connections..Chec that out..

Old 07-09-2010, 08:07 PM

the attached picture is what i believe is the 2 prong connector that i put the paper clip into. its located right underneath the glove box, and was in the holder on the right. if this is wrong please give me more information as to where it should be located. i put a metal piece similar to a paper clip into each, and even tried the end of a coat hanger. neither did anything. i then drove the car until the check engine light came back on, put the clips back in while the car was running, check engine light stayed on and solid. turned the car off, put the clips in, turned to accessory and still nothing. any help would be much appreciated. thank you in advance

Attached Thumbnails 88 accord wont start when hot-2010-07-09-17.54.08.jpg  
Old 07-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Don't plug anything into that connector. Your 88 accord has a different procedure to get the error codes than the 91-95 accords. It is pretty simple.

Procedure: Access ECU (located under Front driver’s seat) by moving seat all the way back. Turn ignition on (II position) and observe LED on ECU for codes.

Codes: Codes blinked out by LED are separated by two second pause, then repeated. For example: 2 blinks - two second pause - 2 blinks = code 2

Old 07-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Drivers seat all the way FORWARD, stand on your head on the rear floorboard to look under the front seat.
There is a little window covered by a plastic door; under that is a blinking LED

Old 07-11-2010, 02:27 PM

could be a bad TW sensor ......code 6 ....

it does not make sense,,,,,if engine turns over just fine ( as you stated) but no start,,,,,,,pushing the car should have nothing to do on making it start...the only possible time that you would push start a car ( manual tranny ) if you had battery or starter issues ...........

Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Push starting would start if it cranks to slow when hot(bad starter or batt. cable) or maybe if it cranks fast enough but the battery doesn't have at least 12 volts to fire.