General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this part?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Default What is this part?

I hit a piece of truck tire today with my 2001 Accord. When I stopped to check for damage I found this piece of metal wedged between the front crossmember and the plastic splash pan that goes under the front of the car.

I put the car on ramps and took the splash pan off, but I can't figure out where this part came from.

Does anyone recognize this part? Can you give me a hint where it came from?

Attached Thumbnails What is this part?-image.jpeg  
Old 06-16-2016, 05:24 AM

It appears to be a mounting plate for a lower coulling or splash cover as you mention; however, having worked on hundreds of your generation I do not recall ever removing that part. Is it possible it is from another vehicle that may have hit the tire too? Check to see if the bolts are metric, if they are not then you can rule out the possibility it came off your car and was likely tossed up into your car at some point and was road debris.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:56 PM

WOW, my daughter has a 1998 Accord and I have been in that area alot and don't recognize that piece.

Look at the threads of those two bolts. Are they stripped? If not, then it is likely it came from another car.

Was it wedged in the middle of the car or off to one side. I looked at parts for the front of 2001 Accords and don't see anything like that.

look here...http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisle...s=&view=normal

Last edited by rockhoundrob; 06-16-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:02 PM

It looks too nice to be road debris.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 PM

Did the plastic molding on the front bottom of the car get bent? Maybe that part could be from something that helps hold the molding in place? or something that hold the grill in place?

When my daughter comes home, I will look at her car.

Can you take a picture of where you found that piece stuck? I find it odd that you saw it before you took the splash shield off. which to me says the part came from the outside.
Unless the force popped it popped it off and while the plastic was twisted, the metal part fell between the gap.

Last edited by rockhoundrob; 06-16-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 PM

The part was found between the splash pan and the front crossmember (the crossmember that the motor mount attaches to, not the radiator support). It was on the left hand side and was situated parallel to the crossmember.

The splash pan was out of place, it was hanging below the bumper cover. When I pushed it back in place I heard some metal clanging. I opened the hood and found the metal part below the crossmember, it clearly did not belong where it was.

There was a car in front of me that also hit the tire. This metal part could be from that car. It could have come in when the splash shield was disjointed from the bumper cover.

Fortunately there is no major damage. The tire rubbed some dirt off of the floor pan but it seems to have missed the major parts.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 PM

The two bolts have 10mm heads, definitely metric not sae.

The part is 9" X 2.5". I should have added something for scale to the pic.

Thanks to the folks trying to help me. I've lurked here before but never realized y'alls great response.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It almost looks like a license plate bracket, but not from a Honda Accord. My wife's 2000 Accord didn't even get any holes drilled in the bumper cover for a plate (we're a 1 plate state).