General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

What are signs of seized front brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Default What are signs of seized front brakes?

I drive a honda accord lx 93 and my brakes are overheating. I'm not sure whats going on. In the early morning after a regular drive, I can see extremely faint white smoke coming from my brakes. Also theres a burning smell while im driving and after i park. My rotors pretty hot.

I recently had a mechanic change my rotor and brake pad. I used duralast gold brake pads recommended by the mech. I bought cheap duralast rotors 260mm.

Uh... The mech didn't bleed my brakes after changing the rotor and pads.
Also when my rotors were removed, the mech said my pistons were pushed out a lot but I doubt it got damaged, but its always a possibility.
I brake fine. There's no vibrations or problems braking. Once in a while, I might hear a squeak and maybe just 1 click coming from the right brakes when step on the brakes...

My questions are...

How do I know if my front brakes are seized?
If air is in the brake line, will it cause the same burning smell?
or...
what else might be causing my brakes to smell?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Default RE: What are signs of seized front brakes?

well, it could be cheap parts.
it can be an internally swollen rubber brake caliper hose.
it can be sticking caliper slide pins or pin bushings.

air in the line would tend to cause no binding or sticking problems.

you'll just have to inspect it, there are no signs that say what exactly the problem is.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 AM

Jack up both front wheels, place the gearbox in neutral, and attempt to rotate the wheels by hand. You should feel some resistance due to the fact that each wheel is attached to the other through the differential and thus you're trying to move a lot of heavy rotating parts, but it shouldn't be excessive. If one wheel is significantly harder to turn than the other, then it's a good bet that one caliper is at least partially seized.

When you rotate one wheel, the other wheel should rotate in the opposite direction. If it doesn't then instead of rotating the other wheel the opposite waythrough the differential pinion gears you're rotating the differential's crown wheel and some of the internal parts of the gearbox, which is suggestive of resistance at the other wheel.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If the caliper dust cover becomes damaged and exposes the caliper piston, it will rust as it extends. This will prevent proper relaxation of the piston when pressure is releasedand you'll get persistent drag on the brakes. JohnL's diagnostic should locate the dragging caliper assy. Probably a new or used caliper is best fix.

good luck

Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Clean and lube the slider pins, and see if that helps BEFORE throwing parts at the problem