General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the worst that could happen?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Default What is the worst that could happen?

I've got a 1999 Accord LX with 135,000 miles. I just dropped it off at a dealership with a CEL and some concerns about a potential oil leak. I was told that I have a clogged intake and a faulty PCV valve. I agreed to fix both of those issues, but the dealership also told me that I have oil leaks coming from my valve cover, my distributor cap, my sump, and possibly something else. I've noticed that the car consumes about a quart every few months, which is very little compared to my old Volvo which had a serious appetite for oil. I was wondering... is it worth it to chase these leaks considering I'd like to sell this car in the near future and lease something new (and avoid spending more than the $400 it will cost for the labor/parts to get the other 2 issues corrected), or should I just drive it as is and not worry about them assuming I check the level constantly and add oil as needed? Also, I was told I have about 15% of my front brake pad's life left, how many miles would that get me assuming normal stop-go driving?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a V6 or 4-cyl?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:18 PM

4 cylinder automatic. Sorry, should have included that.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Ask the dealership for a quote on the services you are not getting done, so you know what they identified as problems.

Since you are losing oil, check the level like you have been doing. With the amount of oil you are adding, all those leaks must be pretty minor.

Where oil is leaking could cause problems. Oil can leak into the distributor, and that is not as simple of a fix as oil leaking from an oil leak from where the distributor bolts to the cylinder head. If you remove the distributor cap is there oil on the inside of the distributor? For the valve cover, remove the spark plug wires and look for oil in the spark plug tubs.