General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with the Struts on the '06/'07 Accords?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Unhappy What's up with the Struts on the '06/'07 Accords?

My 2006 Accord EX just puked the right rear strut for no apparent reason (81k miles). Appears that the seal went south because it's leaking.

I've seen at least one other thread about this here on an '07 with 41k miles.

I am always very careful to avoid dropping wheels in pot holes and have never curbed or otherwise abused any of the axles on this vehicle (I'm the only driver and I bought this new in Oct05).

This may be a whine, but WTF?

I know the warranty was up at 36k, but one pays the $$$ for a Honda for the reliability. As an automotive engineer for over 30 years, I find this to be totally unacceptable. I still have the '88 Bonneville that I bought new when I worked for GM. It has over 400k on it ("C" 3800) and I have only had to replace the front struts once and just recently replaced the back pair for the second time.

These Honda struts are not the garden variety "$100 a corner (installed)" we all became used to, either. These are over $500 a pair to replace (always replace in pairs...) at a competent service house. My guess is Honda service pricing would be somewhat higher...and limited to OE equipment...no KYB for you there.

To make matters worse, no "quick kits" (struts, springs, bushings, etc.) are available from any aftermarket supplier, I guess because the model is too new.

Which brings me back to the point of this thread.

What's up with these struts? Is there a bulletin out on this issue? Should there be? What's your experience been?

Informed feedback is most welcomed and encouraged!

Old 07-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't read of bad struts on this site for 7th gen accords. I haven't heard too many reports of bad shocks on hondas in general. That isn't to say that it isn't possible to have on fail at lower than expected mileage.

You may have some options that are cheaper than dealership OEM parts. You may want to look at the classifieds in this forum for people selling their OEM assemblies when the upgrade the suspension.

I probably wouldn't go with junkyard parts, since those cars were in an accident.

If you want an OEM quality and nothing flashy, I think Monroe struts aren't too bad. They are oil filled too.

I don't know what route you want to go. When you start asking about suspension, people have many opinions and always talk about the upgraded suspensions.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:28 PM

PAHonda:

I'll admit that I haven't heard too many complaints on this issue before either. Guess I'm just lucky...lol

Anyway, I am planning to go with KYB gas units, not Monroes or OE.

I hear the "book" pays 3 hours to R&R the rear pair on my '06 EX 3.0 before aligning. That sounds pretty liberal to me. I was underneath it and didn't see anything too spectacular that would warrant a 3 hour labor block.

Does that sound right to you? What did I miss?

Old 07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I think the labor hours is the amount of time it takes the average mechanic to do the work. That sounds like it is 1.5 h for each shock.

The rear strut assembly is held in by one bolt on the bottom and two or three bolts on top. Then the assembly has to be disassembled to switch out the shock. Are you going to get the work done at a garage or thinking about DIY?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I think the labor hours is the amount of time it takes the average mechanic to do the work. That sounds like it is 1.5 h for each shock.

The rear strut assembly is held in by one bolt on the bottom and two or three bolts on top. Then the assembly has to be disassembled to switch out the shock. Are you going to get the work done at a garage or thinking about DIY?
I'll have it done at a shop mainly because it may require realigned afterwards. I'm not the DIY guy I once was either...lol.

The ~$500 + alignment quote I got for KYB's installed on the Accord just seemed high compared to the job I had done a couple years ago on my Bonneville. It, like the Accord, has one large bolt at the bottom and 3 bolts in the top mount. That job was ~$200 + alignment. The KYB's are a bit more pricey than the Monroes on the Bonneville. I was told that the big difference was in the labor time. Just didn't ring true to me.