Suspension Talk about your suspension within.

Need help! Rims, Struts, Suspensions!

Old 10-07-2005, 09:44 AM
dj.fli4rt
Unregistered
Default Need help! Rims, Struts, Suspensions!

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum. It's pretty awesome that there is a forum specifically for accords. I've posted b/c i obviously need some help and tips on enhancing the performance of my car. I drive a 2003 Accord EX V4 AT transmission. It's been two years now and it seems like the comfort of my drive is declining due to the constant rolling on corners and the joltin' feelin' my car gets when i go over speed bumps and dips. I chose to tune up my car because i drive a lot now after transferring to a different college and commutin' everyday (compared to leaving it in the garage for a year). Please keep in mind i'm on a budget since i also need money for college. [:'(] Anyways, i'm pretty much a noob when it comes down to the detailed line of tunin', but i have a passion for it if that makes any sense. >_< Here's my situation:

Please add all of these up to determine what you think will be the best performace enhancement for my car:

1) Suspensions/Coilovers: I read up on the forums and seem to be intrigued by TEIN. There is an obvious difference between Tein BASIC and Tein SS. Can anyone explain what is the advantages of one compared to the other? I can get SS for about $950 but BASIC is about $350 less.

2) Front strut tower bar i have dat covered. However, the rear sway bar i'm iffy 'bout. I heard i can use one from a TL but i'm not sure. Any aftermarket part suggestions? I'm totally clueless about this.

3) Keeping #1 in mind, i'm also thinking of changing my OEM rims and gettin' ADR M-Sports (i'm well aware of lighter rims but i'm more 'bout show). Not sure what size though, 17" are an option but i prefer 18". Also if i get 18" what are the chances the tires will rub on the fender walls? In my city there are a huge amount of speed bumps and dips like you wouldn't believe.

I also plan to get a body kit since I see a lot of the same models and i just want to be orginal. I plan to lower my car but not by much due to the dangerous amounts of dips. I've seen cars with kits driving at an excessive amount of speed over a dip and had a good laugh when the occupants of the car had to get out and retrieve their front lip. Anyways, for now i'm only focused on the smoothness of the drive. Any help would be appreciated. I plan to put my plans into action around December or so when i'm on break. Just need a smooth ride!

Old 10-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Default RE: Need help! Rims, Struts, Suspensions!

Welcome,
from my own experience, i have a 2000 3.0 v6 sedan

Go with the tein SS they are awesome, the ride height you can adjust to take care of the
bump/ pothole problem, i live in the northeast, i have the same issues.

ride height is very easy to adjust with these, you can raise and lower your car depending on where you are going to take it, plus, for
looks if that is what your into.

The damping force is adjustable, you can set from, race setting, very hard but great on cornering, to ride comfort, a bit bouncy for
my own taste, and everything in between.

For me, i set it very hard on the front and less so on the rear, this is what the recommedations are for FWD cars.

I would go with 19" rims, i went with 18" riax seca, but i wish i had gone with 19"s, ah, well live and learn.

With the coilovers you need not worry about fender scraping, as you can adjust the height!!

strut brace is a must, plenty out ther to choose from, just don't cheap out!!

also for suspesnsion, i changed out my front and rear sway bars, stock was really small.

good luck post some pics