General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to sell, 110k miles: '04 EX Sedan:

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 02:00 PM
Default When to sell, 110k miles: '04 EX Sedan:

My mechanic says my car still has lots of miles to go. Im wondering though, since im not mechanically inclined, and do not have a place to work on the car, when do most people consider selling their accord? My family gets by on one car, so we do not want to be in a position where we begin to have to leave the car at a mechanic.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

I drove my Accord for well over 200,000 miles, still had a lot of life in it. Only reason I retired it was because I got tired of driving a car with an automatic transmission.

One of my co-workers has two Gen-7 Accords (2004 and 2005), they both have more than 300,000 miles on them.

Regarding your car, I say keep it if you like it. Will it require maintenance from time to time? Yes; fact of life with older cars. That said, some unscheduled maintenance on an Accord is A) far cheaper than a car payment, and B) typically cured in short order due to the availability of parts.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
I drove my Accord for well over 200,000 miles, still had a lot of life in it. Only reason I retired it was because I got tired of driving a car with an automatic transmission.

One of my co-workers has two Gen-7 Accords (2004 and 2005), they both have more than 300,000 miles on them.

Regarding your car, I say keep it if you like it. Will it require maintenance from time to time? Yes; fact of life with older cars. That said, some unscheduled maintenance on an Accord is A) far cheaper than a car payment, and B) typically cured in short order due to the availability of parts.
Yup, we bought my wife's 2000 Accord LX w/AT with 217,000 miles on it. Now it has 239,000+ miles on it 5 years later, and still runs great. My 99 Accord I bought for next to nothing with 232K miles on it, and after throwing about a grand at it now has just barely under 235K miles on it. It's a 4 cylinder 5 speed, and the clutch is working on starting to slip.
That's the thing about Hondas, they go forever with a little maintenance, and hold their value. I only got a great deal on my 99, because the PO thought it needed a new engine. Turned out it needed a new harmonic balancer/lower pulley, and the timing reset.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:53 PM

I have an 07 accord manual that just turned over 200k. Im keeping it until I can't. I'm going to be honest with you you have to weigh your options maintenance is cheaper than a car payment. With you having an automatic keeping it up on maintenance expect to have to have a trans issue. As long as you are willing to deal with that then you will be fine. Hondas do hold there value and are great cars but like others have there issues. The good thing is the parts are readily available and there are good mechanics out there were you don't have to sign your life away to get them fixed if you have no means of fixing them yourself. Most things that go wrong are simple and you just need the basic tools to get it back on the road

Personally I would keep it if you want to sell it post it here I'll buy it. Lol

Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

230K on 04 EX V6 Auto
Basic Maintenance: Oil, transmission fluid changes, brakes, timing belt/water pump, PCV, plugs
Valve gasket + valve adjustment
Shocks @ 220K, Compliance bushings, passenger side motor mount, starter
Power Steering Pump replaced because it was making leaking more than i want and a little noisy. PS rubber hoses - because of leak

140K: 05 LX I4 Auto
Basic Maintenance: Oil, transmission fluid changes, brakes, PCV, plugs
Shocks @ 135K, Compliance bushings, starter

Old 03-08-2019, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisT
My mechanic says my car still has lots of miles to go. Im wondering though, since im not mechanically inclined, and do not have a place to work on the car, when do most people consider selling their accord? My family gets by on one car, ...
I've a '97 A/T with 275,000 miles. It all works but it's getting old and suspension noisy; unlikely to repair it going forward. Last repair was a new exhaust system and new brake pads. Stopped maintaining the tranny (original never repaired, did only drain and fills of the fluid) about 40 or 60,000 miles ago.

I suggest you could plan on using yours till 200,000 and then generally shop around for a replacement before you're having to replace the car on short notice. I live in Washington state - little winter salt use on roads so car bodies don't rust out; don't know your location.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 AM

Currently 553k on my 95 Accord 5-speed. Normal items replaced such as timing belt every 100k and fluids every 30k. Steering components replaced at 250k including bushings. Normal routine maintenance goes a long way. I'm in the south so YMMV if you are in rust belt areas.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

153,000 miles here on an '09 V6 I also do not do much maintenance myself basically just the oil and I do the drain/refills of the tranny fluid. I've had the timing belt done as recommended and have also had the brake fluid, coolant and I think power steering fluid "exchanged" by the dealer. It's now my second car as I bought a '18 Toyota SUV last year. Who the hell knows when I'll get rid of it the way these cars run it may be awhile.