General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I put spare key in case I lock myself out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Where can I put spare key in case I lock myself out?

Hello Honda Forum;

Question. Where can I hide a spare key on the outside of my Honda in case I lock the doors with they keys inside?

I am an office supply salesman. I go from business to business. I make maybe 50 visits/stops per day.

Yesterday, for the third time, I closed the door with my keys inside.

My insurance company provides a roadside assistance service. They came and unlocked my car yesterday. I also have AAA insurance. I called them the last two times.

I used to have a Chevrolet pickup truck. I had [still have] a magnetic key box in which I put a door key. There was a flat place on the inside of the rear wheel well where the magnetic box would stay fixed.

My Honda has no such place. Also, the magnetic key box that I have is not big enough to hold the larger Honda key.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM

Get a tall precription vial from the pharmacy. One that the key fits in to with the cover snapped shut. It is best when you can protect the key. Wrap it with duct tape so it will not be transparant.
Best places are the rear underside of the car. Use nylon tie straps to secure it to a metal component. Get it up as high as you can. If you use 2 or 3 tie straps, position the vial so you can remove the cover and get to the key.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow. Neat, good idea.

I've already got the nylon tie strips. I may already have everything I need.

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Get a flat hardware-store-type key made, keep it in your wallet.

Your car has an immobilizer, so that flat key will not start the engine. But it will open the door so you can get inside to retrieve your real key.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure what the gas filler door looks like on those cars, but that is where I have stored keys before. Unless it is one that has to be opened from inside the car.

Side note: On 2000ish volvos the gas door locks..............a few minutes after you lock the doors of the car. Might have locked the doors, put the keys in the gas door, and came back after swimming to find my keys locked in the gas filler door

Old 06-14-2013, 02:50 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I have one of those magnetic hide a key boxes. There are good spots if you look under the rear of the car on the frame rails.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimTrail
Question. Where can I hide a spare key on the outside of my Honda in case I lock the doors with they keys inside?

I am an office supply salesman. I go from business to business. I make maybe 50 visits/stops per day.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.
OK, you're a professional, so go to a professional in the key business: a locksmith shop. Forget the hardware store.

I had same lockout problems till 4 yrs ago. Went to locksmith shop and they set me up straight.

No embarrassing 'Gotta call a Cab or AAA' since. Be sure you describe your problem in broad big picture terms.

Old 11-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Default Door Key

I work at a used car dealer, and the best idea I have seen for a hidden door key is this.
Secure it behind your license plate.
As long as you use a slim key, this works great. You can also even it out by using a similar size washer on the alternate screw.
If you use a slotted end screw you can remove it with a dime, and not even need a screwdriver.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:44 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by njharris
I work at a used car dealer, and the best idea I have seen for a hidden door key is this.
Secure it behind your license plate.
As long as you use a slim key, this works great. You can also even it out by using a similar size washer on the alternate screw.
If you use a slotted end screw you can remove it with a dime, and not even need a screwdriver.

Now that's a good one! If you secure it not protected won't it eventually rust??

Old 11-14-2016, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Now that's a good one! If you secure it not protected won't it eventually rust??
No, because most keys made these days are made of brass, and brass doesn't rust. I do like the idea of carrying a flat key in my wallet, as I've locked myself out of my GM truck before, and having a spare in my wallet made it easier to get back into it.

Quick Reply: Where can I put spare key in case I lock myself out?