General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Where can I put spare key in case I lock myself out?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:39 PM

Let me add another thought...

Suppose you lose your keys, not just lock them inside...?

A key hidden in a magnetic box or hidden behind the license plate may open the door but it's not going to start the engine which likely requires a chipped key or a fob. And you won't want to hide an expensive chipped key on the outside because it could get wet and that will cause it to fail.

Having learned that the hard way with my previous Accord, I put a chipped key in a magnetic box and hid it in a secret place in the truck. If needed, I'd use the cheap unchipped key hidden in a magnetic box behind the front grill to open the door and then pop the trunk to retrieve the chipped key. So even if somebody finds the key outside, they can't start the car unless they find the second key.

Newer Accords, like my '16 Coupe, are somewhat idiot-proof...the doors can't be locked if the fob is inside the car. But that won't help if an idiot like me loses the fob after the doors are locked. And unfortunately, there's no way around this if the car has push-button start. You can't store a spare fob inside the car because it will prevent you from locking the doors... Catch-22!

But I think my 2 key approach will still work if you have a key start ignition on newer a Accord .