General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

taking my key out when I put it in park

Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Default taking my key out when I put it in park

Hi guys I am having yet another problem with my 1989 Honda Accord. I can not take my key out of my car when I put it in park especially if it's cold. I have to fiddle around with my shifter until the "P" lights up on the dash. Once the light finally lights up I am able to take my key out. What do you think it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator

You can download an 86-89 shop manual from the links in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section.

It sounds like the problem is with the gear position switch under the gear selector. There are some open/closed circuit tests you can try if you have a volt meter. You may be able to adjust the position of the switch? I am not sure, because all of my cars are manual transmission.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

PA-He should have the manual now, I mailed a CD copy of mine about a week or two ago...

bluedemon-did snail make it?

Yes I agree there is something up in the shifter. However it might just need a good cleaning, including the interlock. Cold with a little coffee, coke/pop, or whatever else has spilled in there can make it hard to slide. Trust me I've got to clean my shifter this weekend-mine is coffee related-, been cold here at night for a while (20's, I know) and I have a hard shift/slide from park to drive/reverse in the am. Once the inside is warm, life is good.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:16 AM

Yes, poorman, it did make it and thank-you again for your help. I did pay it forward by pulling this ladie out of a ditch with my AWD Pontiac Torrent.
Anyway I'm not having a problem shifting it into park or any other gear. It's just when it is cold and sometimes even when it is warmed up if that light on the dash is not lit up I will not be able to take the key out unless I can figure out a way to get it to light up by moving or shaking the shifter. That also goes for trying to switch gears when it is in park and the "light isn't on. I wont be able to push the shift button in until the light goes on.
Where in the manual would I look for how to or what to adjust to take care of that? I looked under auto trans and it shows a picture of the shifter but I'm not sure what I should be cleaning/adjusting. Thanks again.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Super Moderator

The tests are under electrical, body electrical, then shift lever position indicator. It sounds like you are not making the proper contact when you are in park on that indicator.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Your welcome and thank you for paying it forward.

PA has you on your way. I was only suggesting something maybe preventing the contact, i.e. the cleaning. My issue is something else, but close. While there also check the interlock switch for free movement

Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 PM

I'm at work right now so I can't look but do you have to take the whole center console apart to get at the shifter mechanism? If so that seems like it would be a PIA to do. I'll check it out when I get home but I was hoping to get a heads up.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

On that gen it isn't that bad, the manual will give you the details. My memory tells me it is only four/five screws. That hardest part are the two towards the back of the console, slide the seats all the way back and you should be good to go.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM

I got it fixed thanks to you guys!! I took the shifter apart and took that slider apart and cleaned it really good. I almost lost that tiny ball bearing that goes in there(thank god I didn't) and cleaned that and the tiny springs. Then I cleaned all the copper contacts, put it all back together and wa lah the P light always goes on now. Thanks alot guys!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Great news, thanks for letting everyone know the solution. It always helps to post the answer to help all those that search down to road.

Last edited by poorman212; 12-16-2010 at 10:51 PM. Reason: dang, dang-I can't spell