General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

key stuck when put into park at end of journey

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM
walkies
Unregistered
Default key stuck when put into park at end of journey

I have been searching around the internet for a clear answer to this problem. Six months ago, I bought a 1995 2 door 4 cylinder Accord. Car runs well with smooth shifts. Last owner wasn't great on the maintenance front. Two months ago had transmission flush.

In the last month, as the weather has gotten colder, when I get to the end of a journey and shift the car into park, it feels like the transmission goes into park, but the dashboard P is not illuminated, and the shift remains locked so that I cannot get the key out. Some jiggling with the shift, and some click sounds (gear position switch), and eventually one final click and park illuminates and the key can be removed. It is definitely worse in the morning and night when the weather is cooler. I had an issue with a slow electric window, and poor cranking, so had the battery checked, and replaced. However, this has not sorted the park problem.

I know that it should not be an issue of the brake switch, as that is for coming out of park into neutral and on, and I can hear the solanoid clicking. Also, if I have read correctly, the TCM would likely be a problem if there was an input/output issue into it, and would show as a blinking D4.

My thought is that the shift cable needs adjusting, or there is a problem with the A/T gear position switch? Does this sound correct? If so, does anybody have any idea how difficult, and how long the job would take to do? I don't have a garage, or a workshop as live in an apartment, and with the days being shorter, if the job is short, I would think about giving it a go. If it will take time or is more complex than I am capable of working on, how much would you figure a mechanic would charge for it?

Thanks,

Andrew

Old 11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: key stuck when put into park at end of journey

The park pin switch or the gear position switch can be the culprit. There are some electrical tests that you can try. In the DIY section, the online manuals thread has links to sites with the 94 shop manual (should be identical to your 95). Look at the interlock system under the electrical section.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:56 PM
walkies
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply. I had been looking at that 94 manual. I can see the A/T gear position switch, but cannot see a park pin switch. I can see a park pin that is used to lock the shift cable in position once adjusted. I think the shift cable then attaches to the A/T gear position switch. Does that sound right?

In the manual, it lists three gearshifts selectors: KG,KE,KH. I am in the US, which version would mine be? I noted that of the three, a difference was that KH has a shift lock solenoid. If that is my model, could that be a problem?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure about the KE/KG, and KH models. They are probably for foreign accords.

The pdfs at the bottom of this site are another version of the 94 shop manual. I think that this is for a US model.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/

The electrical pdf is where you will find the information.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:46 PM
walkies
Unregistered

that is the manual i have been looking at that lists those three models. One looks like right hand drive, whilst two are lefties.