General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the filler plug on a 91 accord manual transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Where is the filler plug on a 91 accord manual transmission?

Hi all,

I must apologize first. I have owned my honda for about 8 months now and after browsing the net all this time, I give up.

Can anyone please show me a photo of the location of the drain plug and filler plug on the manual transmission of a 91 honda accord lx?

I think I found the drain, but am not sure. I dont want to mess it up.

Thanks in advance.

Troy

Old 02-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

Looking from the right-front wheel (USA passenger side). Look along the axle, where the axle assembly enters the transmission. You don't really have to jack up the car & remove the wheel to do this job, but maybe it helps to FIND them in the first place.

Based on the position of the right-side axle entering the transmission:
Drain plug is at 6-oclock & it has a square hole for a 3/8" socket extension with no socket.
Fill plug is at 9-oclock. It's a bigger hex and "looks" very different than all the other bolts which hold the case together. I think it's a 17mm wrench size?

Old 02-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Here is info. on the filler plug from the owner's manual.

Attached Thumbnails Where is the filler plug on a 91 accord manual transmission?-5-speed-filler-bolt.jpg  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Thank you both

Thank you both so much. The description is the best I have seen. The photo helps me visualize it.

Today I will finally change my transmission oil.

Troy

Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Supper Moderator

BTW it's not a filter drain plug just a drain plug. We don't have serviceable filters in honda transmissions unless you break down the trans for a rebuild.

The easiest way to get to the drain plug is remove the pass side wheel. Like Jim said it's a only diff. looking bolt that anything else on the car.
You will prob. need a breaker bar (one that will fit) you have limited room if the car is not on a lift. Trust me been there done that...but it can still be done.

Since your looking for this drain plug I’m assuming you are changing the fluid in the trans. Well this is where hondas are diff. from most other trannys. YOU CAN NOT POWER FLUSH THE TRANS. You can ONLY drain and fill with fluid. ONLY use HONDA ATF ONLY! You are going to want to buy a about 12qts. and drain and fill your trans 3 times (yes I know honda ATF is pricy) Drain and fill the 1st time then drive for 200-300miles and repeat until you have used up all the fluid. Your trans will LOVE you after that. Ohh and I almost forgot. he drain plug is a magnet...so make sure you clean off all the metal shavings from it. No point ot change the fluid and put the old crap right back into the trans.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

G22, it's a manual trans...
So you can use 10w-30 engine oil. In 1991, Honda hadn't started selling "their brand" of MTF which should work even better.