General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whistling noise from engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:33 PM
xlibe
Unregistered
Default Whistling noise from engine

I've 1998 Accord Ex-V6 and it has 177,000 miles on it. There is whistiling noise from engine - where the belts are located when I accerlate. When the gear is shifted to neutral from drivingon the road, this noise goes away. Also there is small metal clicking noise from same area(belt area). The idle is at normal range(800rpm) when at parked and also the noise is at its minimum level. There is no violent engine shaking involved and there is no drastic idle changes. Is this valve problem? Check engine light was on last time and I've ignored for couple of times and it goes on and off. I've taken it to shop before the noise started and they say the light is due to caterlytic coverter and I need to replace them.
Help[X(]

Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default RE: Whistling noise from engine

Have you replaced your timing belt before?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
xlibe
Unregistered

I've replaced the timing belt and water pump at 90,000 miles.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM

is the belt old, worn or cracked?

The ticking noise sounds like it could be the valves... when was the last time you had a valve adjustment?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What oil do you use?
And does the ticking get louder with accelleration, and lastly, does it quieten any once the engine is up to temp?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM
xlibe
Unregistered

Thanks for reply...

I've never done a valve adjustment on this car. The ticking noise gets overwhelmed by the engine noise when idle goes high and the noise does not change with engine temp. The mechanics used 10-30 oil for the last oil change. Other than timing belt, I've not changed other belts yet. With visual inspection, belts appears to be ok.

Could the problem coming from bad bearing on pully?
Thanks.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

What i've done before on some cars when i can't pinpoint a location of the sound is get a 3-4 foot long tube/pipe/something hollow and use it like a stethascope (spelling?)

it'll help locate the area where hte noise is coming from, you can put it to your pullies to see if that's truly where the sound is coming from

Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: xlibe

Thanks for reply...

I've never done a valve adjustment on this car. The ticking noise gets overwhelmed by the engine noise when idle goes high and the noise does not change with engine temp. The mechanics used 10-30 oil for the last oil change. Other than timing belt, I've not changed other belts yet. With visual inspection, belts appears to be ok.

Could the problem coming from bad bearing on pully?
Thanks.
I had a water pump pulley go bad once and caused that exact same noise (if I understand what you are describing), either that or the alternator would be the two areas I would check. Is it leaking a small amount of coolant out the back of the motor? Is the belt hard, glazed, glassy looking or cracked?

Old 12-28-2007, 06:29 PM
xlibe
Unregistered

I'll try to use the hose to pin point the exact are when I get home. There seems to be no leakage under the engine. The belts seems to be hard/firm and no glazzing, glassy, or cracked from visual inspection(then again it could be cracked underneath the belt).
Thank guys.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:30 PM

Be carefull when you do this because obviously the engine is running and you're around the pulleys/belts. Don't get caught in them

Quick Reply: Whistling noise from engine