General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Why OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Default Why OEM?

I just wanna know why some people on forums (like cb7tuner.com or honda-tech.com) ALWAYS think that OEM parts are the ONLY way to go with the Accord. Why cannot Aftermarket parts be just as good or even better?
I am asking this question because I want to rebuild my engine for a good price by using an aftermarket rebuild kit, but these people on these forums (specifically cb7tuner.com) keep on telling me not to do it and use OEM parts.

I figure that its because these people on these forums are using the Accords as tuner cars rather than regular cars, and so they are thus going to be VERY meticulous about what they put into their cars (because they want to run them like hell).

But what do you guys think about aftermarket rebuild kits?

Old 11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Never had to rebuild one. Why not just buy a good used engine?

I've not seen any discussion on rebuild kits, but perhaps one of our members has some recommendations.

Personally, I purchase most aftermarket parts with a few exceptions. I used Felpro gasket kit when I did head gasket on my 94 EX and was satisfied w/ their product.

good luck

Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Never had to rebuild one. Why not just buy a good used engine?

I've not seen any discussion on rebuild kits, but perhaps one of our members has some recommendations.

Personally, I purchase most aftermarket parts with a few exceptions. I used Felpro gasket kit when I did head gasket on my 94 EX and was satisfied w/ their product.

good luck
1aauto.com said that rebuilding can be cheaper and more reliable than getting a used engine's. And the Haynes manual said that rebuilding an engine is not especially difficult, it just takes time and the correct parts to do it.

1aauto said, http://www.aa1car.com/library/engine2t.htm

"Replacing an engine with a brand new one is usually too expensive for many people's budgets, so the choices come down to a remanufactured engine (or short block), a used engine (and the risks that go with it), or overhauling or repairing the engine yourself. A used engine is a temporary fix at best, and only buys the current owner a little more time. Sooner or later, most used engines experience problems of their own and have to be replaced or rebuilt, too.

Remanufactured engines are a popular option these days because they are readily available at competitive prices, which has caused a decline in the number of engines being custom rebuilt ("repowered") by repair facilities and machine shops. A quality remanufactured engine can provide good value for the investment, and most come with a 90-day to one-year warranty. Even so, there are still valid reasons for doing your own engine work."

That would be great if someone could chime in on this who has actually rebuilt one.

Last edited by mishakol129; 11-23-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Buying a used engine will likely be cheaper than rebuilding. If you go with a used engine, you definitely want to have the seller do a compression test and a leak down test to verify the condition of the engine.

I never rebuilt an engine, so I can't give my opinion on OEM vs aftermarket. I think that you should compare the prices on the aftermarket parts vs the OEM parts just to find out how much more the OEM parts would cost to do the job.

I agree with TH, I like the felpro gasket parts.

You may want to find out who made the OEM honda rings, bearings, etc... You may be able to buy them from the original supplier. Honda just puts their label on the parts and likely has a markup on the price.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM

In my opinion, the engine is the most intricate part of the car and its replacement should be bought new from Honda. When I buy a Honda car, I'd think "hey, I'm buying a Honda engine". Honda is a big engine manufacturer. On top of car engines, they produce motorcycle engines and boat engines for markets around the world. They got their name on each engine, so every engine has to perform well.

Aftermarket brands have little to lose, IMO. You can get a lemon and nothing will be done about it.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Not a Honda, but I rebuilt the engine on a previous car I owned ('72 Datsun). Gave it a whole new life and ran better afterwards. Seemed more powerful too. But it was a tedious job & I was very careful (ie. time-consuming).

It wasn't particularly expensive for parts, and I used an aftermarket kit for seals & gaskets. Dealer for piston rings. Remember, Honda doesn't actually manufacture their own small parts like nuts bolts gaskets & seals. Thing is, I don't know what company actually makes them for Honda. There's probably good & bad suppliers out there. I've used Fel-Pro gaskets on a Honda more recently and they were OK. I don't know who's a good vs bad supplier of bearing shells.