General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

will my air bag with with a v6 leather steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Default will my air bag with with a v6 leather steering wheel?

i have a 2002 accord ex coupe 4 cylinder, the steering wheel is dry rotted so im looking to replace it, i cant get used to the cover i bought for it.

while looking online i see 2002 accord ex coupe v6 leather steering wheels, not sure why it matters if they say v6 why im asking to make sure the steering wheels arent different?

just want to make sure it will fit my car and air bag will fit in it. my steering wheel is charcoal but the leather ones im looking at buying are black leather, do you think the airbag part will stick out much or is it dark enough to blend?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

The best way to figure this out is to look up the oem part number for your accord, then look up the oem part number from the donor vehicle. A site like hondapartsnow.com gives the part numbers. It looks like the V6 has a different part number than the 4cyl. So they aren't identical.

Junkyards are another source for parts. You can search on a site like car-part.com.

Another option is getting a good leather replacement cover. Wheelskins is one brand that I came across when I was searching for a leather wheel cover.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The best way to figure this out is to look up the oem part number for your accord, then look up the oem part number from the donor vehicle. A site like hondapartsnow.com gives the part numbers. It looks like the V6 has a different part number than the 4cyl. So they aren't identical.

Junkyards are another source for parts. You can search on a site like car-part.com.

Another option is getting a good leather replacement cover. Wheelskins is one brand that I came across when I was searching for a leather wheel cover.

yea, every black/charcoal i call about from car-part.com is in as bad shape as mine is. why i was looking at leather because it wouldnt turn mushy like the rubber ones do, as fast as them anyways.
i believe only the 02 v6 coupes were leather?

i went to a shop who installs wheelskins last week, he said the top would still slide/be mushy with that on there.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

I think that some EX accords came with leather wheels. Looks like they are $200 new from that parts site I referenced.

Anyway, the steering column between the V6 coupe and the I4 coupe are the same, so the steering wheel should fit. I just don't know what differences exist between the two. Find out if you can return the V6 wheel if it doesn't fit for some reason.