General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Window with a mind of it's own!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 03:08 PM
XR6R
Unregistered
Default Window with a mind of it's own!

Hi, found my way here after searching the net for advice on my Accord window problem and it's my first post after finding lots of window problems on the forum but none quite like mine.

The front drivers window behaves strangely: When closing, it closes all the way and then moments later either:
[ul][*] Opens a little then stops[*] Opens fully[*] Opens a little then stops then opens fully[*] Opens about halfway then creaks down a few more inches then stops[*] Stays closed
[/ul]
The window goes down perfectly every time and also goes up fast and strong every time before one of the above happens. I can't predict what will happen on any one time and I can't even predict when it will play up or just stay closed.

Q: What controls the auto opening/closing and the auto drop if something is caught? Is it the switch or the motor/regulator assembly? The car is new to me but the previous owner told me he had already had a window regulator fitted, though I have no paperwork to verify this.

Sorry for the long first post but I'm completely lost on this one.

Any and all suggestions are very welcome.

Ian.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Default RE: Window with a mind of it's own!

First off welcome to the forum! Glad to see your car info in your signature! Secondly, that's not a long post *L*

If memory serves me right.... on that car there is a feature where if you push the unlock button a couple of times it automatically drops the window a few inches. A while back someone had their grandparents car that did this mysteriously as well. Does it only happen at a specific time? I.E. car on or off, driving, not driving or does it do it randomly regardless of what's going on with the car?

Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM

Here is the post that I was thinking of. Not the same car but info none the less.... let us know a little more about when it happens

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_49427/tm.htm

Old 09-25-2007, 03:40 PM
XR6R
Unregistered

Thanks for the fast reply!

It seems to be completely random - engine running or stopped and driving or stationary.

I've just been outside and tried pressing the 'open' button several times on the trot and nothing happened (also tried pressing the 'close' button several times just for fun and nothing out of the ordinary happened then either).

I had a GM car previously that needed the window limiter switch resetting after a power failure (just pressing and holding the window switch in a sequence if I remember right). There's not the same process that can be done on the Accord is there?

Thanks again,

Ian.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:18 PM

If it's just the drivers side window and it's random then it sounds to me like a problem with the power window regulator on that side. I'm going to let someone else throw in their two cents here because I can't imagine what else it may be if that's no the issue.