General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windows fogging up

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Default windows fogging up

hi, so i got my 97 accord ex about 3 months ago and the fogging up has only been getting worse to the point where i cant drive anymore. i topped off my coolant atleast 2 times in the same week and i believe that its going on my windshield from looking around on the internet. i tried using the leak stopper where you put the powder in the raidiator but it didnt seem to help. im trying to avoid going to the shop as i can not afford it right now. this is my first post so i know there will be mistakes...

i couldnt find the place to put the signature so ill put it here
Accord
2.7L V6
EX
Auto Transmission

Old 12-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

To stop the fogging, turn on the A/C, it will dehumidify the air. You can use heat with the A/C.

Have you pinpointed where the coolant leak is at?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 AM

i tried that and it doesnt seem to work really well. and i havent found the leak yet but i was thinking of checking the heater core. or is it not worth it to go through all the trouble?

Old 12-24-2012, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Heater core, exactly where the issue resides. Replace the heater core and your troubles will be over.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I agree that heater core leak is likely, but it may also be a split hose end pushing coolant into the cabin at the firewall. Replacing heater core is a major effort ($$) and should only be done once you've isolated the leak.

Inspect the heater core connections at firewall carefully w/ mirror and good light looking for evidence of leakage. If you see leakage, suggest replacing heater core hoses and see if leakage is halted. Replacing heater core hoses can be tricky. If you pull/jerk too hard you can damage the heater core ends. Split ends w/ a sharp razor to enable easy removal.

A good cold, pressurized leak test is also indicated to confirm no engine compartment leaks.

good luck

Old 02-10-2014, 01:08 AM

Same problem here - my 1994 Accord wagon fogs up horribly while driving in the rain. I've tried all possible combinations of air blowing: direction (5 options), AC on/off, and recirculating/exterior air. Nothing really helped. Super annoying to drive in the rain.

I've looked at other posts on fogging, and it seems that a heater core might be the problem, but replacing it is expensive, and this is a VERY old car.

Any other solutions? Some anti-fog treatment for the windows?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

If the heater core were leaking, you'd have the distinctive smell of antifreeze. If you don't smell that, I'd start looking for places where rainwater (or snow melting) can get in.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A cheap fix is to remove heater hoses from heater core ends and connect hose ends together w/ hose male x male nipple fitting. No heating is somewhat a downer at this time of year

good luck

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
To stop the fogging, turn on the A/C, it will dehumidify the air. You can use heat with the A/C.
Ya, a lot of people don't know about that... Most cars, and later Honda's the A/C comes on automagically when you select defrost...

Old 12-15-2020, 08:10 AM

[QUOTE=TexasHonda;340471]A cheap fix is to remove heater hoses from heater core ends and connect hose ends together w/ hose male x male nipple fitting.

What is the objective with this? Can I just “drive on” like this?& if so then what is the point of the heater core? Also i feel like i should be waving & screaming this one—> Will This Give Me Heat??? 😳 I haven’t been able to locate the 94 accord antifreeze leak yet, i just can’t see it dripping but looks like it leaks when i turn it off because it’s there on the concrete when i go back out from grocery store. Windows fog up pretty bad too especially now that it’s colder weather is here.
I Did mention that I Have No Heat Right? It is Ccc cold 🥶

Quick Reply: windows fogging up