Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   windshield washer pump (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/windshield-washer-pump-63379/)

sgull 06-06-2016 06:42 PM

Might just be me and the sound on my PC but are the wipers "kind of thumping" when they go to the bottom?
Now that you mention it, no it's not you or your PC thumping. Upon examination, I see that while in operation the far end inch or two (mid windshield end) driver side wiper blade is thumping down as it meets the bottom of the windshield there. I hadn't ever noticed until you brought it up. Not good I suppose. That blade is either too long perhaps, or the arm perhaps improperly positioned something like that? Thanks for any comments/suggestions to get me on the right track fixing that up properly.

poorman212 06-07-2016 07:45 PM

Where you live, ice and snow add up quick. So that can mess with the wiper arm position.

Yes verify that the blades are the right length. If they are, the position can be adjusted. Assuming the bushings in the wiper transmission are good.

Didn't look at my crappy 4th gen manual, using my personal experience with my 5th gen(s). At the base of the windshield/arms there is a nut holding the arms to the "studs" of the wiper transmission. You can remove that "nut" and lift the arm straight up - be careful as there are "splines" on both the arm and stud.....I've used a small pulley puller to help before. It is like a "taper" on a ball joint but also has "splines"....you don't want to mess up the "splines" and "whacking" with a hammer isn't a good idea....sometimes, one hand on the stud and another lifting on the arm and a good "tug" has got them to come off.

You can lift the arm off the stud and "re-position" it slightly to the side that needs adjustment. Then tighten the nut/bolt and see what you have. If you can, use a marker to the stud and arm before removing it so you know the original position. I forget the torque spec on that nut/bolt.

Again, just something I noticed. No need to stress over it. If you do nothing, you might never have any issues. Almost sorry I said anything about it.....just turn up the radio and you will never hear it :). I do that with some things on mine.

sgull 06-08-2016 10:30 AM

Okay I coudn't seem to come up with any info to verify whether the blade(s) is the right length, so I decided to assumed they were. I was able to reposition the arm without much trouble. Didn't need a small puller to remove the 14 mm acorn nut from the stud; and that was good because I didn't have a small puller. A good tug and it pulled off nicely. Fiddled with it for a few minutes, trial and error a little and got it repositioned about right so it doesn't slap/thump down like it did before on the bottom of the windshield. Couldn't come up with any info on the torque for the acorn nut so just snugged it up good by "feel".

Again, for your viewing pleasure, I have provided link to a video I took after the reposition job. No more thumping, and I watched and stops clear of the windshield bottom now a good inch or so. Note: Now if you happen to hear what seems like a squeeking/rubbing noise coming from the wiper blades, that's just you and the sound on your PC.;) Thanks poorman212.

http://vid207.photobucket.com/albums...psheloznnx.mp4

poorman212 06-10-2016 07:33 PM

Again, sorry for even saying/typing anything. they shouldn't hit the base or the A post either.

I guess I'm just getting too old for this, sorry.

Glad it worked out, washer and wipers, Good luck and hope everything stays good for a long time :)

sgull 06-10-2016 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212 (Post 369485)
Glad it worked out, washer and wipers:)

Me too! Thanks again for all the input/comments here.