General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windshield wiper and power windows problem in Accord 01

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Default windshield wiper and power windows problem in Accord 01

Hello all,

new here. I've an accord LX 2001 that is well maintained.

Just yesterday morning, temps dipped here and noticing now that in the first drive, the power windows sometimes go down automatically, the wipers start on their own and doors lock/unlock. This problem stops on subsequent rides.

Any idea what the issue might be?

Thanks all.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

A multiplexer is involved with operating that stuff.

I think you can reset that by disconnecting the battery. You'll need to have your radio security code & you'll have to reset the clock, etc.

There's also a reset procedure which I don't remember. Something like setting the intermittent wipers to a certain position then simply turning the key off & on. I'll try to find it, or you can search the boards for "multiplexer reset" or something like that.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

I think I found it...

*turn the ignition off
*intermittent wiper set to middle position
*ignition back on
*back in business

Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 AM

is the multiplexer involved with power locks and power windows also? It happens when the weather is cooler that windows automatically go down, wipers start, etc.

I will try this now. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:26 AM

There is a little known issue with the drivers side interior fuse panel on that generation. The symptoms vary from weird interior light problems to pretty much anything that runs through the panel. No two cars will show the same symptoms and some will even throw random check engine codes. Often the fix is to replace the fuse panel which years ago Honda lowered the price on. It is integrated with the multiplex units but we usually don't start with replacing them, we almost always start with the fuse panel. This is the first I have heard of the symptoms you describe but it is within the realm of possibilities. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Default wiper runs continuously and won't stop

Hello,

I've had to remove the wiper fuse from the fusebox on my 2001 Accord LX because last Saturday, the wiper would run continously and would not shut down unless the engine was stopped or I pulled out the fuse.

I am thinking of taking it to the dealer or Goodyear. Would Goodyear be able to diagnose this or is complex?

would this be an issue with wiper motor or fuse or something else?

Note that recently when it's cold, I notice the back seat window rolls down automatically and the power locks go on/off intermittently. After car warms up, this is no longer an issue.

My mileage is only 86K.

Please advise and thanks for any ideas.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

While not impossible for Goodyear to diagnose/fix this issue, I do find it rather improbable. I would be more inclined to use a full-service shop specializing in Asian or imported cars, or better still, a Honda dealership.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

When the wipers run by themselves, is it running at the regular low speed, high speed, or intermittent?

The wiper issue may be caused by either the wiper switch or the driver's side multiplex control unit (located on the driver's side fuse/relay box).

Since you also had a power door lock issue along with the wiper issue, I suspect a problem with the driver's multiplex control unit. If the wiper speed runs by itself at intermittent, that may also point to the MCU.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Although I normally don't recommend replacing a part without diagnosis, diagnosis of the multiplex control system is a little complex without the proper equipment. So, in this case, you may want to throw a part at the problem to see if it fixes the issue. The part list for $56.35 and is not very difficult to replace. There are essentially two connections (one on the fuse box itself and the other via a harness plug to the mcu).

Attached Thumbnails windshield wiper and power windows problem in Accord 01-drivers-mcu.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 04:27 PM

Had the car at the shop and the problems didn't duplicate at the dealer so they couldn't do any diagnosis and don't know the cause. They also don't think it's the multiplex unit.

Any idea what else to do? The dealer says to drop off the car and keep it overnight.

The issues have been happening when it's cold and these power systems go off erratically.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: windshield wiper and power windows problem in Accord 01