General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 06:47 AM
Default wiper motor

I have just saved myself a bit of cash. My wiper motor would not always work and the only way to get it to go was to give a very light tap on the wiper arm. so i looked into it and removed the motor and linkages completely of the car (which was very easy) by the way the accord is a 1998 model. and then I removed the motor from the linkage bracket. and then undid the 2 screws that hold the motor body on and slid it off it has a bit of resistance due to the strong magnet, once you get it of you will find a small contact set where one of the brushes are attached, just very carefully clean the contact surface with a thin nail-file making sure you give it a good blow afterwords while holding open the contact set but not to far as you do not want to weaken the spring on the contacts. then reassemble and hey presto £150 + saved

Last edited by kwakers; 01-27-2014 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thanks for posting.

I moved your post to correct forum. Please read posting rules.

good luck

Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 AM

Hi Kwakers here
I recently posted on diy section/forum about repairing my wipermotor and you removed it to general tech section, the idea of putting the help/diy was for others to see that they could carry out the (diy ) on their wiper motors and also save themselves heaps of cash rather than getting ripped off at their local repair shop.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:28 AM

That is true, but only moderators decide which posts to place in diy forum.

regards

Old 01-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

We can review it, but the idea is that the DIY area is for complete write-ups or procedures for something. Not for question/answer threads that wander all over the place.

If you're talking about post #1 right here in this thread, I'll invite you to write it up like a procedure. Reply right here in this thread & I can move the individual post over to DIY.

Step-by-step is better than one long run-on paragraph.

Last edited by JimBlake; 01-29-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 AM

Thank you for putting me right The next time I have time I will take pics and do a proper write up with more details. I still hope that I have saved someone a trip to the repair station and saved them a bundle of cash as an x tech I have seen too many people ripped off by my last employer

Last edited by kwakers; 01-30-2014 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM

FYI, worn brushes will re-establish contact when shaken/moved however due to reduced brush length, there is less contact force and connection will again be lost. Your fix may not be permanent.

One of the tests for worn brushes is to smack the motor hard to see if motor restarts. If yes, replace motor or brushes. Radiator and blower motors on autos have non-replaceable brushes in my experience.

good luck

Old 01-30-2014, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Might be a reasonable temporary fix, allowing you time to shop for prices or mail-order the new motor.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Man- Tough Crowd! I liked his idea.
But you folks do run the best forum of the dozen or so I've used over the years.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:00 AM

I can see were your coming from jim but the brushes all three of them where only half worn and when I tried to correct the fault by giving the brushes a clean up and the armature a clean allbeit temporarily the problem was still there. I reassembled the motor and plugged it back into the loom and the motor would still not work unless I gave it its obligatory light tap then it would start, so I knew it had to be another fault that is when I decided to clean the contact set and it has been fine ever since.

Quick Reply: wiper motor