General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wipers go too far down

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Default Wipers go too far down

Hey there,

I recently bought a 95 honda accord 2.2l EX. After trying the wipers I noticed they would go too far down passed the windshield everytime i'd use the wipers(hard on wipers and motor) What I did was loosen the arm and put the wipers a bit higher which totally fixes the problem of going too low, but now when they stop, their too high up on the windshield. At first they were going 6 inchs too low, now 6 inchs too high when they're stopped.

Anybody know of a fix for this?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:48 AM

are the correct size wiper blades on the car?, if not id get new ones with the correct length. id also try adjusting them again.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Hey,

I got the right length, 24 inch on driver and 20 inch on passenger.

Their stop position was good when i got the car. Now that I raised the arms they don't go passed the windshield, its perfect up and down now.

It's weird, after I stop the wipers from moving, they still go up a good 6 inch from the bottom from where I want them. Its pretty much just the stopping point that is off since I've adjusted the arms...

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

There's a contact in the wiper-motor assembly that shorts out the motor acting like a "brake". If that's not working properly, the wiper motor will coast too far after it shuts off. Not sure if you can do anything about it except get a new wiper motor. If you're prepared to get a new motor (junkyard?) then you can try dismantling yours.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Hey,

What your saying makes sense. BUT, before I did anything to them, they were fine for where they started and stopped. It was the in between that they would go too low. I feel like this is an adjustment of some kind. But don't know where.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

There's a few things that MIGHT be messed up, but they don't exactly fit your description. Here goes...

Loosen the nut that locks the wiper arm onto it's shaft. The arm is stuck onto a tapered shaft, you can work it loose & re-position it. But that only changes the extreme positions (top & bottom). It doesn't fix a situation where the wiper parks itself at a position NOT at the bottom of it's stroke.

Each wiper shaft is driven by a bellcrank of sorts, hidden under the cowling. If the bushings are worn on those linkages, the wiper can be moved a few inches up & down. So when it's wiping fast it'll over-throw the range where it's supposed to go. It'll go too high up & also it'll go too low down. Slow speeds it's almost normal, but at high speeds it swings too far in both directions.

Park position is controlled by a contact built into the motor assembly. I haven't had to take that apart on a Honda, so I can only describe in general terms. The contact is moved out-of-position, so the wiper parks at the wrong place.

The wiper motor "coasts" too far instead of stopping immediately. That's what your description sounded like.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM

I found the problem!

I took the whole motor/Linkage assembly off in one piece.

I flipped it around and could see and arrow on the gear.
It needed to face an other arrow in front of it to be in it's correct position of start/stop.

It was about 1 inch off which caused it to go too low, and not high enough.

Wipers now go perfectly up and down to it's maximum sweep with a perfect stop/start position.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

THANK YOU for posting the fix. Lots of people just dissappear then we never know how or if they fixed it.