General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wipers missing big spot right in middle of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Default wipers missing big spot right in middle of windshield

Hello,

I have a 2007 Accord, and I recently bought new wipers for my car, however after installing them (they were installed by Advanced Auto since I was heading to class and it seems to take me a while to figure out how the old wipers go off usually it seems), and after driving with them they don't wipe completely, right in the middle of the windshield the drivers side wiper doesn't seem to have much pressure against the windshield in that area and it doesn't wipe (note: it doesn't smear it, it literally will not really even touch there). I have the right size according to everywhere I've looked (AA, amazon), and the wipers appear installed correctly without any issues, but I don't know what's going on, the original ones I had worked great up until the rubber on one broke.

Any ideas?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

I would just switch back to the original blades. Many dealerships install the refills for no labor charge if you buy the refills.

Attached Thumbnails wipers missing big spot right in middle of windshield-wipers-1.jpg   wipers missing big spot right in middle of windshield-wipers-2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

It is probably just the aftermarket blades.

Do you still have the original Honda blades? I usually buy the rubber inserts from the dealership and put them in the original arms.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ruler22
Hello,

I have a 2007 Accord, and I recently bought new wipers for my car, however after installing them (they were installed by Advanced Auto since I was heading to class and it seems to take me a while to figure out how the old wipers go off usually it seems), and after driving with them they don't wipe completely, right in the middle of the windshield the drivers side wiper doesn't seem to have much pressure against the windshield in that area and it doesn't wipe (note: it doesn't smear it, it literally will not really even touch there). I have the right size according to everywhere I've looked (AA, amazon), and the wipers appear installed correctly without any issues, but I don't know what's going on, the original ones I had worked great up until the rubber on one broke.

Any ideas?
My wipers do that too... the passener side is my issue. I have the rain x wipers. Garbage. I just bend them backwards a bit where you need it to hit the windshield... or replace them... the boys at the store should be able to swap them out for you if you show them they are jacked up...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM

I have the rain-x ones (Amazon) that I bought to replace ones I bought from Advance Auto (a different type, but they were about $40 total so I had thought they would be good) and they both do the same thing... I'm going to try to return both (no idea if I can with Amazon ones).

They got rid of the wiper arms when they were replaced at Advance Auto, does anyone know how much it would be to replace the OEM ones? Also, are there places online that would be cheaper than the dealership?

Last edited by ruler22; 01-18-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ruler22

They got rid of the wiper arms when they were replaced at Advance Auto, does anyone know how much it would be to replace the OEM ones? Also, are there places online that would be cheaper than the dealership?
Is yours a coupe, sedan, 4 or 6 cylinder?

Old 01-18-2011, 10:24 AM
Junior Member/Canadian Connection

A wiper blade is a wiper blade.... just bend the arm alittle bit or i've seen small springs to push the blade down on the window...

Old 01-18-2011, 03:09 PM

It's a sedan, 6cyl EX-L Navi 6MT

Old 01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

From Bernardi Honda:

The driver side is #17: Honda part number 76620-SDA-A01 MSRP/List $20.27 Internet Price $14.84

The passenger side is #20 Honda part number 76630-SDA-A01 MSRP/List $12.08 Internet Price $8.85

These should include the blade and rubber refills.

Some internet Honda dealers:
bernardiparts.com
hondaautomotiveparts.com
hondapartsdeals.com/honda_parts.php

The only things is that there is shipping costs. hondaautomotive is Majestic Honda; but, they charge a handling fee of $4.95 too.

A lot of local dealers will charge more than the MSRP/List price, so keep that in mind. Check your local dealer's website for parts coupons and call first for their price to see if they are marking up above the list price. Then compare the local dealer price (plus sales taxes) versus internet price with shipping.

Attached Thumbnails wipers missing big spot right in middle of windshield-wipers.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Redbull-1 has you on the way. I just want to give one more thing to think about, well assume the old wipers we not doing the same and hope the ones from the dealer will solve the issue...if not, the wiper arm might have been bent (you and Advance can figure that one out). If the arm is bent it would cause it not to apply the proper pressure. Again, try the ones from the dealer but if they do the same???

Edit: not sure on this model, most have a sping under the arm...if the issue is still there check that as well.

Quick Reply: wipers missing big spot right in middle of windshield