General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't rev over 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have dug into checking the timing marks and found that the cam was out by one tooth as far as I can tell. Whoever did the timing belt last has done a good job of bastardizing this poor car. The timing cover is missing half the bolts and was loose enough that the Alt belt has rub through the timing cover. Most of the bolts were left loose,,, the list goes on. My question right now is to do with the balancer shaft. It says to insert a Punch or 6mm bolt in 74mm into the maintenance hole. How am I going to know that I have this inserted in the correct location? I have turned the balancer pulley and there seams to be a few differant spots were the punch will go into the shaft. There is also a dot on the pulley that I would think is to line up with something. How critical is it the this balancer shaft line up in the coerrect position?

Originally Posted by deserthonda
have you checked cam timing ??

Old 06-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

It is important.

This tread will help: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...?t=3977&page=2

Also, I attached a pic of where the mark lines up. Get it to ~5 o'clock and get the bolt to push in. Mark the housing where it lines up with some whiteout.

Attached Thumbnails Won't rev over 3000 rpm-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok so I have put the dot to 5 o'clock like in this picture but when I do this I can't insert the .249 Drill bit in as far as the 2.9 inch depth that is mentioned. in order to insert the drill bit in that distance the dot needs to be @ 11 o'clock.
Is it possible that this gear could be put on the shaft incorrectly?
What is going to happen if I try to start the engine with the balance shaft in the wrong location????
Can I start the car with the balancer belt left off??? just so I can see if the car will rev past 3000rpm or not?

Originally Posted by PAhonda
It is important.

This tread will help: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...?t=3977&page=2

Also, I attached a pic of where the mark lines up. Get it to ~5 o'clock and get the bolt to push in. Mark the housing where it lines up with some whiteout.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I haven't had time to work on this for a few days and I am a little concerned about this balance shaft alignment. As I mentioned in this previous post I have put the dot to 5 o'clock like in this picture but when I do this I can't insert the .249 Drill bit in as far as the 2.9 inch depth that is mentioned. in order to insert the drill bit in that distance the dot needs to be @ 11 o'clock.

What is more important when lining this balance shaft up? making sure the drill bit goes in the 2.9 inches or is the mark to be at the 5 o'clock mark and who cares if you can't get the drill bit in far enough?

Originally Posted by Wicked Pete
Checking in...hope you can let us know. I'd like to know how it's going.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

As long as you get the bit into the balance shaft, then you are ok. That means the balance shaft is aligned.

That gear that you see has an o-ring behind its housing that you should replace. It is common for that o-ring to get brittle and leak oil. You could turn the gear so it is at the 5 o'clock position.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So is it more important to have the bit go in the full 2.9inches and not line up at 5 o'clock? or should I line it up at 5 o'clock and not worry about the bit going in 2.4inches instead of the full 2.9inches? In other words if I turn the gear to where the bit goes in the full 2.9"s and then pull the gear off and turn it so it lines up at 5 Oclock.

As long as you get the bit into the balance shaft, then you are ok. That means the balance shaft is aligned.

That gear that you see has an o-ring behind its housing that you should replace. It is common for that o-ring to get brittle and leak oil. You could turn the gear so it is at the 5 o'clock position.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. It is more important to have the bit go in all the way. Then you can remove the gear, replace the o-ring, then put the gear to 5 o'clock.

When the gear is somewhere other than 11/5, how far does the bit go in?

Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When I try to insert the bit at any other locations it just barely goes into the hole. the only place that it will go the full 2.9"s is when the gear is at 11. So I am going to put it to 11 and slide the bit in the full distance and then see what happens.

Yes. It is more important to have the bit go in all the way. Then you can remove the gear, replace the o-ring, then put the gear to 5 o'clock.

When the gear is somewhere other than 11/5, how far does the bit go in?

Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok so I have the timing belt all back together but the problem is still there. Still won't rev over 3000rpm. Any suggestions on what to look at next.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:48 PM

I've been following this thread and I too would like to know what is going on. This is weird. Times when misfire occurs (popping) one assumes it is ignition. I have heard of bad injectors causing misfiring, they are sensitive to pressure and when bad, can cause problems. I am not sure what I would do about this problem, keep working at it? You know the dealer has diagnostic tools...but $$$.

Quick Reply: Won't rev over 3000 rpm