General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AT wont shift without releasing gas pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Default AT wont shift without releasing gas pedal

not sure whats going on, trans fluid seems to be at a normal level and no lights or anything on the dash, but the car wont shift normally,

it will build up to 2.5k or 3k rpm and stay there until i let off the gas,, does that in a couple different gears and sometimes feels like it downshifts once i release the gas at times

??

recent seafoam of vaccuum line, gas and oil crankcase, new plugs but thats it

Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM

Could we have more detail about your car please ? The problem happen before or after recent work done to the car ? What if you drive it normal and don't let your foot of the gas pedal, would it shift or slip ?

Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

piggy-if I remeber this post...the op is having the same issue even though this is the 4th trans that has been put in the car........oh, and they all do the same.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:34 PM

my transmission wont go into the lock out gear when merging onto the highway, have to let off my gas for it to drop down. little over 3k at 70mph until i let off gas and then it drops down to 2700k.

also when doing city speeds it will upshift early and the car bogs and shutters, feels like your trying to take off in 3rd gear in a Manual Transmission. its that kind of bogging and shuttering. have to keep pit in D3 driving in the city to prevent it from dropping into OD and bogging the engine

guessing we have the same problem.

is this a thottle linkage issue?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 PM

anyone have any input into this topic?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Honda can't make very good auto transmissions apparently.

Seriously though, older GM's use a throttle valve cable (ie. downshift cable) and they are adjustable on those, not sure about the older Accord setups. Improper adjustment will cause all sorts of weird shift point issues, though. It's worth looking into.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

Check for transmission codes. There are some codes that do not cause the D4 light or the S light to turn on.

Honda made good automatic transmissions through 97. The 98-02 were built to shift smoother. Those transmissions had a design flaw and they failed a low mileage. It seems like Honda sorted out the automatic transmission problems in the 03+ accords.

Their manual transmissions are pretty rock solid.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Tek310
my transmission wont go into the lock out gear when merging onto the highway, have to let off my gas for it to drop down. little over 3k at 70mph until i let off gas and then it drops down to 2700k.

also when doing city speeds it will upshift early and the car bogs and shutters, feels like your trying to take off in 3rd gear in a Manual Transmission. its that kind of bogging and shuttering. have to keep pit in D3 driving in the city to prevent it from dropping into OD and bogging the engine

guessing we have the same problem.

is this a thottle linkage issue?
You can try adjusting the TV cable and see if there is any improvement.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by piggylover1985
Could we have more detail about your car please ? The problem happen before or after recent work done to the car ? What if you drive it normal and don't let your foot of the gas pedal, would it shift or slip ?
1990 Accord DX, 218k, just bought the car, if i drive it without taking my foot off the gas, it will rev up to about 2.5-3k and not any higher, it will do that until i take my foot off the gas

seafoamed motor, oil, and gas, got a code 1 and 17.. 1 is due to the crack in the header im guessing but idk why its throwing a 17 when the speedo works just fine..

Originally Posted by poorman212
piggy-if I remeber this post...the op is having the same issue even though this is the 4th trans that has been put in the car........oh, and they all do the same.
not quite, this is my first transmission in the car.. i hope they dont all do the same, ha

Originally Posted by Tek310

almost the same, except when accelerating upper moderately hard..the motor will downshift and bog down, thats both city and freeway and reguardless of d4 or d3, even sport mode,

55-60mph is the fastest i can get it to go

Old 07-01-2011, 05:59 PM

is there a seperate way to check for hidden tcu codes?

Quick Reply: AT wont shift without releasing gas pedal