General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Won't start in Cold Weather

Old 12-07-2006, 11:17 PM
spartang
Unregistered
Default Won't start in Cold Weather

We have a 95 Accord LX w/ 51,000 miles on it here in Chicago. When the weather drops below 20/25 degrees, it will only turn over and won't start. We may get a tease- a quick fire then nothing. Sometimes it will run for 15 sec or so then die- but barely makes it above 1000 RPM. Happened all year last winter until we got a garage. I hadn't heard about cold weather kits or anything like that until reading it here- don't know if that's actually an option, and the local shop (Chicago Honda Authority) tried pushing a timing belt on me (didn't make sense). Last year, we went through 9 new distributors (that shop said that was the issue) and then the weather warmed, and it didn't happen again until recently.

Any thoughts? Time to trade in?

Thanks-

G

Old 12-08-2006, 12:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Won't start in Cold Weather

Welcome to HAF............unfortunatelly that might be something to put hands on to diagnose

what you might want to do is invest some money if a block heater /coolant heater to keep the block warm and easier to start in those Midwest MILD winters....I know what you are going through i lived in WISC for many years

glad to hear that you did not get a timing belt done ,, not for this issue anyways ,if it is time to do it then you should do it to avoid future engine problems

Wow .. 9 dizzies??? Gee, did they not get the idea that it was not the problem ?? I would avoid that particular shop that kept on insisting on bad dizzy after so many of them

hopefully they were under warranty

Old 12-09-2006, 08:07 PM
spartang
Unregistered

Thanks-
I've considered the block heater, but it's in a garage until my wife drives to work- no outlets for street parking, so that may not fly.

I got it started after about 15 min- kept my foot on the gas and turned on the ignition until it eventually kept turning w/o needing the starter to fire. Was VERY VERY rough running, but after 3 rounds of that, it fired right up and ran great the rest of the day. Had some funny bells/ alarms going off during that too, which is making me think that there's something loose in a harness of sorts that perhaps gets touchy when some condensation freezes? I think it's time for a trip to a dealer for one last try, then trade in....

Anyone interested in a warm weather Accord w/ low miles?

Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

any rust on it ?? how much are you asking for it ??

pm me