General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont start. fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Default wont start. fuel pump?

I was in a hurry to leave my apartment and turned on my car and kicked it into drive really quickly. It moved about a foot or two and died. Now the engine will turn, but not ignite.

I suspect something with the fuel line is off as I can't hear the pump whirring when I turn the keys. I'm just starting my googling to try and fix it before work on Monday and thought I would give this a shot as well. I understand the relay frequently goes out and will be trying to find some info on how to troubleshoot and test that. Any thoughts or helpful sites would be appreciated.

Thanks a ton and here is an emoticon The happy train - Imgur,

Luke
2001 accord

Old 02-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you can't hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 secs when ignition is turned to On and then cut off, Main Fuel Relay (MFR) may be the problem. check youtube for many videos on subject.

Did you notice whether the Alt and Check Engine Light (CEL) comes on? If no Alt or CEL, then ignition switch may be faulty.

good luck

Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 PM

Thanks for the reply TH. I'll look for the check engine light next time I start it up and definitely next time its a problem. My car will start again now, which further makes me suspect the fuel relay as I understand it can be finicky like this. I'm going to try and open up the relay and see if that solder joint cracked.

The repair manual isn't terribly helpful on finding where the relay is (with the exception of the wiring diagram notating that it is under the dash), so I'll check out the tube.

Thanks again and I'll update when I find out more

Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check autozone online manuals for help w/ relay location.

good luck

Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

See if this might help.

Attached Thumbnails wont start. fuel pump?-6th-gen-relay-locs.jpg  
Old 03-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Lightbulb

Hey gang,

thanks for all the support! Did the job today. When I first glanced at the fuel section of the manual, it seemed to be all about fuel lines. Turns out there was a section in there on the relay.

not sure if this will work as a way to show pictures, but...

before

after

In the location picture, the solenoid is attached to the brake pedal. All of this was under the driver side dash.

This youtube video was kinda helpful.
Honda No Start? POSSIBLE Main Relay - YouTube

Here was how I chose to do it.
Prep: 10 mm, small flat head screwdriver, safety glass to keep solder and dust out of your eyes when under dash, solder and iron. May want to start heating up the iron.
1. Disconnect battery
2. Take off bracket that held the relay using a 10mm
3. Disconnect the wiring harness. There is a tab on the connector I pressed with my finger and used a flat head to pry off the connector. There was also a yellow clip holding another wiring harness to the bracket that I removed by pushing all the way to one side then slipping out the side with slack.
4. Pull the relay out of the cover using a small flat head screw driver to pry open the case at the sides where the tabs are.
5. Resolder cracked joints.
6. Reassemble!

In retrospect, I probably should have just touched up all the solder joints. Hopefully that fixed it though.

Thanks for the help on a fun quick project. Total time < hour

~Luke