General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't start, get's complicated

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Default Won't start, get's complicated

My 2001 Accord won't start. This morning I was going to go somewhere and the starter turned over, but the motor didn't even sputter. My wife bought this car new before we met. She passed away. Anyway, I have never had a mechanical problem with this car. It had, maybe, 15,000 miles on it the 1st time I drove it. I worked for a construction Company that relocated me and her for a year or so at a time to where ever the job was. We traveled all over the U.S. for years. the car has around 160,000 miles now, and besides the damage my brother did to the front end last September in an accident, I have omly done routine mountainous e on the car. Plugs, wires, air, and oil filters, and the pcv valve once. I had a spare key to my brothers 2003 Chevy Malibu on my key ring and they look very similar. The Accord's locks are worn from age and the key an be easily pulled out without being in the lock position. The malibu key will fit into the Honda locks, now. However, without the transponder key in the igniton, It will not start. I had pulled a plug wire off to check for fire, and had not put it back on when when It dawned on me what was
PHP Code:
 with 
: I switched keys and it started right up'It
It ran maybe 10 seconds and died. Now it won't start, at all. Can you tell me where to start? I have worked on cars, but not in years and electrical problems are my weakest point. I hope I can drive a Honda from here to the grave. I hate working on cars anymore. Call me if you need home improvements or repairs. I'l leave this to the pros if I can.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Let's move in steps to see if any symptoms help narrow down the problem.

When you try to start it, does the Check Engine Light come on for approximately 2 seconds and then off? This step is to check your car's computer.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:59 PM

Yes, the engine light comes on for a couple of seconds. Also, I have tested all of the circuit relays and checked all of the fuses. I loaned my car to my mother while hers was being repaired a couple of months ago and she wanted to use the cd player and the one in the original stock radio wasn't working, so she had a Pioneer installed. Moms are great! Anyway, I am wondering if this problem has to do with the anti-theft system. If the power to the old stereo was disconnected, a code had to be entered to use it again. What happens when a different system is installed. How does this affect the anti-theft system.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

When you refer to the anti-theft system are you referring to the Immobilizer system or an alarm system such as a Honda add-on accessory security system or an aftermarket alarm? -- If you are referring to the Immobilizer system, does the Immobilizer System Indicator keep blinking when it doesn't start with the right key?

When power is disconnected to the stock radio, it requires the Code. Installing some other audio unit should have no effect on any anti-theft system.
  • Have you checked that the battery has adequate power? This link shows some test you can do regarding the battery and charging system.
Top Ten Multimeter Tests - Part 1 of 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums

• This link has tests you can do for the starter:
Part 1 -BAD Starter Motor Test (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L).

• This link has tests you can do for the igniter, coil, etc.
Part 1 -Honda Accord, Prelude Distributor Test

Attached Thumbnails Won't start, get's complicated-immobilizer-system-indicator.jpg