General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complicated problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Complicated problem.

Hello.
I have an Honda Accord 1999, Vtec, 2.3, Usa model, Automatic transmision.
My car is consuming about 20 liters per 60 mile (100 km) on trafic drive and it dont acelerate normaly like before. I never changed a part on it. I bye it about 2 years ago.

Posible problems.

I have unpluged the oxygen sensor and pluged again. The check lamp was turned on and i disconected the batery and reconected and the lamp is turned of again.

I have changed the air filter with one diferent filter and the air polution entered to the motor.

I have used fot about 6000 miles the whrong oil. I have used 10 40W mobile one.

One time there was no water in radiator and the engine was warmed for some hours.

I live in Albania Europe and i must bye parts on internet and they cost so much so plz think twise before you tellme where is the problem.

Thank you all.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

That's about 12 mpg, more than twice normal fuel consumption.

An overheated engine can result in a head gasket leak, which would be recognized by continuous loss of coolant from reservoir. Is the operating temperature normal on the gauge (just below 1/2 position)?

Did your increase in fuel consumption begin after overheating?

Is the check engine light on before you disconnected the oxygen sensor?

One easy check is to check the fuel pressure regulator for leakage by pulling the vacuum reference line and smelling for strong gas smell. If gas is present, the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm has ruptured. This will dramatically increase fuel consumption.

good luck

Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The check engine light was not on before moving the oxygen sensor.

The colant was losen because the radiator was broken. now i fix that and the temperature is normal.

I will try that with the pressure regulator. i hope that is the porblem.

thank you very much for help
Originally Posted by TexasHonda
That's about 12 mpg, more than twice normal fuel consumption.

An overheated engine can result in a head gasket leak, which would be recognized by continuous loss of coolant from reservoir. Is the operating temperature normal on the gauge (just below 1/2 position)?

Did your increase in fuel consumption begin after overheating?

Is the check engine light on before you disconnected the oxygen sensor?

One easy check is to check the fuel pressure regulator for leakage by pulling the vacuum reference line and smelling for strong gas smell. If gas is present, the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm has ruptured. This will dramatically increase fuel consumption.

good luck

Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would start by inspecting and replacing the maintenance items that usually cause poor fuel efficiency; spark plugs (clean/gap or replace if over 80000 kms on them) . Inspect distributor cap and rotor very carefully for fine cracks and replace as indicated. Check spark plug wires at night w/ fine water mist sprayed on wires. If any sparks are visible, replace the wires.

Check brakes for unusual drag by lifting and rotating each wheel. Any binding or difficulty in rotating must be fixed. A slight resistance from disc brakes due to sliding pads on rotor is normal.

If all above don't fix the problem, I would replace the O2 sensor. This can sometimes cause poor fuel efficiency and performance w/o setting the Check Engine Light.

One final possibility is a blocked catalytic converter. If vehicle is run w/ leaded fuel, the converter element can become blocked and cause high backpressure on exhaust (poor fuel efficiency results). You can test by disconnecting exhaust system ahead of converter. If this restores performance, a new converter is required to fix correctly.

good luck

Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello everybody. There was a problem with the alternator here. I fix it.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

What was the problem, and how did you identify it?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

A part of alternator called diode set was rotten and the alternator not charge perfectly. Than those diodes and the gag was finally collapsed. The mechanic
verified with an ampermeter or voltmeter the batery energy while i turned on and of the ac with engine turned on.
I replaced those parts of alternator and now everything is ok. Now the engine stay ok at idle too.