General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The worst luck possible...well almost, accident on first day.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Default The worst luck possible...well almost, accident on first day.

This story will be told in bullet point format since I'm so tired right now. Had my monthly military drill.

1. Bought the car on wednesday.
2. Left the car at my cousins and allowed my cousin drive the car that night because I had carpooled to a yankees game with friends.
3. Cousin gets into a car accident.
4. Picked up police report on friday. It now seems like my cousin is at 100% fault. He failed to yield while making a left turn, so a car from the oncoming traffic hit the passenger side door of my car.
5. I only have liability insurance and not collision. Adding to my bad luck is, my property coverage is only 10k.
6. The other car is a 2002 toyota, not sure what model but I'm hoping it has high mileage so that if the repairs needed for that vehicle exceeds 10k, my insurance company will pay him for the value of the car rather than to fix it...
7. Since I was not driving the car at the time of the accident, what do you think my repercussions will be other than increase in coverage at the next renewal (i have USAA insurance)
8. Also, since I will be liable for my own repairs (Cousin is paying), how much do you think it is to repair/replace a door(s) and the front fender. The glass is also shattered. See attached pic.
9. I talked to the repair shop I always goto, and he straightup told me, if he were to fix it, he would replace it with a used door, and repaint it to match the color.

I plan to take it to the repair shop as soon as the final liability verdict comes out. The car is at my cousins house out in Long Island but I rather take it to my repair shop in Queens or some other repair shop in Queens. Dilemma is, my coverage only covers ONE tow, so if I tow it to queens, and drive it around short distance for estimates, I wouldnt be able to tow it back to my cousins without paying up the *** for towing fees. So as of now, I'm sitting tight til the verdict comes out...even though I'm pretty sure my insurance would be 100% liable...

Here are some of my key concerns
1. Rear passenger door is missaligned too, if you can the pictures, the black lines dont line up properly.
2. B pillar
3. Not sure so much about A pillar.
4. Do you think the rear passenger door is salvageable?

Is there anything else I should be crazily worried bout?

P.S, uh, lets not the play the would have, should have, could have game. Thanks

Name:  SDC15987.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  135.2 KB
Name:  SDC15979.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  124.1 KB
Name:  SDC15988.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  169.6 KB
Name:  SDC15989.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  153.7 KB
Name:  SDC15991.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  167.2 KB
Name:  SDC15998.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  186.6 KB
Name:  SDC16006.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  159.1 KB
Name:  SDC16001.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  171.9 KB

Old 08-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Hi, I firstly want to say that a similar incident occurred when I let my younger brother drive my 1991 Honda Accord. I put all kinds of work into this car and it was back from the auto-body shop about 3 days. I just had the whole car repainted, also installed a body kit....He needed a ride to school. I didn't work so I said sure you can drive it. He drove it to school and after school he got t-boned in the school parking lot. Luckily it was not his fault. I was into the car 3200 and my insurance totaled it out and cut me a check for 3500. So I was able to use the money to find a newer accord with less milage anyways. I ended up with a 2002 Accord coupe 4 cylinder. I paid 7,200 for that accord. The car had 76,000 miles on it and the interior was mint leather. But I recently rear ended someone in it, so I feel your pain....But to get back to the point at hand. I would search eBay for a passenger door as well as fender. Also try craigslist. As for what that shop told you, you would definitely want to replace the passenger door and fender. As far as the rear door goes , a good body shop will realign the door and make that door look brand new again. So don't worry too much about that. You are probably going to need new door hinges, they are what makes the doors line up right , so passenger side door hinges, again eBay. Passenger door Glass, any glass repair shop...Call around to find a cheap price. Other than that I cant think of what else you might need with out actually seeing the car. Best of luck with all of the repairs.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 AM

a used door is the best and cheapest option here and it will have glass in it. That door is done for.

Hopefully the B pillar is still ok if not the cost will go up substantially. IMO this is about a ~ $5,000 fix. Thats going through your friends shop and getting a good deal on paint. The A pillar can be repaired, the front fender can either be reshaped and bondo'ed or replaced cheaply.

Sorry this happened but it is fixable and once done will look as good as new.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the replies. What is the ballpark on the repair of the B pillar if it is damaged?

Old 08-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Just got back from a body shop in LI. He said the pillars seem to be fine. Replacing the door cover for both doors and replacing of the front fender, the insurance way would run up 3700~. However, going the cash way, he'll replace both doors with used ones, repaint it and replace the fender as well for 2,000.

knowing the pillars are good is a big relief.

i'll still goto the body shops in my local when the final liability decision comes out.