HAF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HAF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HAF? Tell us here.

Accord 98-02 Aftermarket Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 02:13 AM
Default Accord 98-02 Aftermarket Projector Headlights

Hi everybody, I have just purchased a new pair of headlights from Taiwan by the name Sonar. They are high quality projector headlights with angel eyes, but there is a little sticker that says "HID should not be used";however, I don't think it logit since HIDs are suppose to be less hotter anyways. Is anyone familiar with aftermaket projector headlights not being compatible with aftermarket HIDs? Please let me know. (Please don't respond by telling me to look around because I can't, or else I wouldn't post this thread anyways. I am very busy and can't spend hours looking around so please help me if you can). Thank You!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Accord 98-02 Aftermarket Projector Headlights

Do you have the actual headlight assemblies yet? If so, what exactly came with them? True H.I.D. lighting systems (O.E.M. like Acura, Lexus, BMW, etc.) have ballast, wiring harness, the bulb, headlight assembly, and the projector. Most H.I.D. kits contain mostly everything listed above, except for the projectors. Those focus the light that comes from the bulb, otherwise you give off massive amounts of glare to oncoming traffic. You can purchase projectors from various places, they cost anywhere from $300-$400. The thing is, you have to modify your 'projector headlight' assembly with the projectors and the H.I.D. kit. You can either have somebody do it for you ($$$), or you can learn (read, ask questions, read some more, ask more questions, then read again) how to do it yourself. It depends on: how much money you have to blow, are you the DIY-kind-of-person, are you particular about things are done to your car?

Hope this helps,

StevePhy

Old 05-16-2006, 01:36 AM

Well, the headlights did not come with the HID Kit. However, I've heard from this one person that the aftermarket projector headlight from Taiwan, SONAR, is HID ready and not I just need to buy the right size HID and it shouldn't be a problem but I can't just base my judgement on one person. I hope you know more about it. This person told me that I don't need to retrofit it in any way. U know anything about that? Thanks

Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 PM

I have projector lights on my 98, but without the angel eyes. I installed an HID kit on mine without any problems. I had to use a h3 bulb with a 9006 ballast to make it work. If you have a screw cap that is used to access the bulb you will have cut a hole or burn a hole to pass the wires through.