HAF Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HAF? Ask. Have a suggestion to better HAF? Tell us here.

Such sillyness!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Default Such sillyness!!!

When did this sillyness come about that you can't post a link to anyone that sells anything???? I can see where some links wouldn't be fair to a sponsor but this is a bit over the top. So I can't post a link to Oatmeal because they sell cereal? If this much effort went into repairing this site it would have been fixed long ago. I just don't understand the reasoning on this at all.

We have an Amsoil sponsor so linking to another oil would not be fair, I can understand that. But I've seen links removed (including one I posted) that don't have a damned thing to do with any sponsor here or their products. What's up with this? Can someone explain it to me......and perhaps others wondering why their innocent link got changed or deleted?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Such sillyness!!!

I don't think there is a problem with links to products, just "buy it now" type links. I post pictures of the product and sometimes a link to the homepage. I don't think this is a problem, but I guess Angelo is the guy to give us a real answer.

IMO, there shouldn't be an issue if the poster isn't pushing sales of a product other than a simple recommendation.

Posts like this Sultan guy are another story ..... he's been banned from multiple IP addresses and screen names.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Such sillyness!!!

Not that, I'm talking about innocent links that actually help someone that askeda question and have no intereference with a sponsor. For instance I linked to Auto Geek to show someone a product to answer a question I had been asked.....it was changed so it wouldn't work and I was told it was a no no. We don't have any auto detailing sponsors so what's the problem? I have noticed others that were warned also.
THAT is the sillyness I'm talking about.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Such sillyness!!! May Be Not

Go to new member area and read the Admins rules that were posted back on 3/19/2005..Rules # 5 and # 6 .

No direct links to a selling site..you can putit in like this with no problem www johns bar com
but not like this www.johnsbar.com That direct link steals server space where the other one is ment for you to put in to go to there web site..

That is the reason why Tex...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-14-2008, 08:35 AM

Thank you Ang. That makes sense and no I never did read those. Guess it's time I did. I had no idea that a simple link could use up server space, I learned something today.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 AM

I see ..... server space issue. hmmm

On a happier note, I used the search today and it actually worked!!! I think it's been 3 months since that happened

Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Wait, wait, wait... I'm curious as to how a simple link takes up server space... It's not like whatever server HAF is hosted on caches every website that we link to. I remember you saying this same thing a while back Angelo, but I let it go.

I think it's a bunch of BS that I can't direct someone over to a helpful thread on 6th Gen Accord or other helpful websites. I honestly think that the owners of this forum don't have a clue what they are doing with it because of it's unreliability over the past 9 months or so and BS rules that don't make ANY sense.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Where are Nafango and Klrspz to weigh in on this???? I don't think you are wrong Brandon, but they are the computer experts in my book.

Old 10-14-2008, 01:48 PM

LOL... Linking uses disk space? This is new to me... and I've been in development for over 18 years now.

If the source code were to pull information from the site for us, and cache it, then possibly it could use disk space (if properly unkept); this is not likely from what I've seen on these forums.

There's a valid argument as to bandwidth; but realistically that's an issue of either A) the end-user (aka, us) or B) the remote server where the image/file/link points to.
This is only valid if the user uses an upload feature of the forum, rather than linking to the file. IF uploaded, then obviously it takes up space on the server.

This should in no way affect the forum server in reference to disk space, cpu usage, bandwidth usage, etc..

Old 10-14-2008, 02:57 PM

The plot thickens..........

As it is now I seldom come here anymore. I got sick & tired of ERROR 404 when I clicked on something along with otherproblems like not being able to post, having to go in back doors just tobe able towork around the screwed up system. Now it's the posting a link thing.It finallyreaches a point where it's just not worth it anymore and I'm just about there. It's obvious that the problems could have been corrected ages ago which opens another mystery.....why haven't they been fixed?Also ' anytime you click it only once is stupid. This in turn puts the pressure on Angelo and frustrates him because he can't get any answers and has to deal with those like me that are mouthy about the problems. It just sucks all the way around. Guess I'll never understand it, see ya.

Quick Reply: Such sillyness!!!