Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

2002 Accord help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Default 2002 Accord help!

Alright so I recently purchased a slightly used 2002 Honda Accord. Im thinking about putting some new parts on it and I was wondering where I should start. Im not really an over-enthusiastic car person so I am new to installing parts and how I should do stuff. One thing I might do is put headers, new exhaust pipes/exhaust tips on it. What are the components I need to do all this? Headers, exhaust pipes/tips... anything else I am missing? I have tools yes, but to do all that I need to know if there is more to it than I am assuming. Yes I am going to do it myself. Also, if possible, could you give me an estimate on how much this will all cost me? Im looking for good/great equipment for a maximum budget of 500$ (all i have currently)

Old 06-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Well you will be looking at at least 300 to 400 dollars for a decent "header"(since you only have one). Also do you have a pipe bender?Experience in doing exhaust systems?A welder? If you buy a good header, you can get one that is a direct bolt on to your stock system... If you are looking at a cat-back system for your exhaust, you will be looking at $500+ easily for good bolt-on kit...It will be much easier for you to buy a muffler of your choice and take it to an exhaust shop to have them put in new exhaust pipes and install your muffler...Or you could buy a 15 dollar header off of ebay, a set of 75 dollar pipes from ebay, and a 20 dollar muffler from geuss where... Ebay! and just clamp it all together... But I wouldnt recommend it unless you like exhaust leaks, mufflers falling apart, and welds on the header breaking...
If you are looking for products, try contacting wheelbrokerang... He has some amazing and great priced products...

Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by corvetteking
Well you will be looking at at least 300 to 400 dollars for a decent "header"(since you only have one). Also do you have a pipe bender?Experience in doing exhaust systems?A welder? If you buy a good header, you can get one that is a direct bolt on to your stock system... If you are looking at a cat-back system for your exhaust, you will be looking at $500+ easily for good bolt-on kit...It will be much easier for you to buy a muffler of your choice and take it to an exhaust shop to have them put in new exhaust pipes and install your muffler...Or you could buy a 15 dollar header off of ebay, a set of 75 dollar pipes from ebay, and a 20 dollar muffler from geuss where... Ebay! and just clamp it all together... But I wouldnt recommend it unless you like exhaust leaks, mufflers falling apart, and welds on the header breaking...
If you are looking for products, try contacting wheelbrokerang... He has some amazing and great priced products...
Heres what I can tell you, I could find a 150-200$ header, no clue about the pipe bender (how much is that going to cost?), I put headers on a '68 Ford F-250 and cherry bombs, my buddy has a wire feed welder. Never really looked into a cat-back system. I could easily install the muffler. Not much im missing I suppose. Thanks for the help and reccomendation, really appreciate it.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by GhettoBlocks
Heres what I can tell you, I could find a 150-200$ header, no clue about the pipe bender (how much is that going to cost?), I put headers on a '68 Ford F-250 and cherry bombs, my buddy has a wire feed welder. Never really looked into a cat-back system. I could easily install the muffler. Not much im missing I suppose. Thanks for the help and reccomendation, really appreciate it.
Buying a good header is going to save you money in the long run, as cheap headers have problems with their welds holding, sometimes even just after installing them... The finish on them also does not last as well...

As for the pipe bender, you said you are looking to replace the exhaust pipes correct??? Well the stock pipes do not just start at the end of the manifold and go straight to the back, they have bends... To replace the pipes, you are going to need to get some made, should cost no more than 150 dollars at a muffler shop...

Doing modifications such as just putting a header and welding on a muffler is not very efficient. Your exhaust can only flow as good as its smallest point... Therefore if you have a header with 1-5/8 th inch primarys and a 2 inch collector, but only have 1-1/4 piping back to your 3" muffler... Your only going to be flowing as well as your 1-1/4 piping... It is much more efficient to match all diameters in your piping and have mandrel bends... Just my .02