Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

2007 Accord EX sedan 4-cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation 2007 Accord EX sedan 4-cylinder

What are a few good exhaust systems for an 07 accord EX-L sedan that's a 4 banger?..I can't seem to find any, all the exhaust kits I found are only compatible with the coupe models or V6.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM

Custom Fabrication is really the best bet. I have an '07 SE 2.4L and ran into the same problem, so I took it down to a local performance auto shop with a certified welder and 4 hours later I had a custom full cat-back with a magnaflow muffler. Custom fabrication also often turns out to be MUCH cheaper than kits, mine only cost 300$. If you are absolutely positive you want a kit though, Megan Racing does make a kit for the 2.4L, I'll include a link.

meganracingperformance.com/20032007-honda-accord-4cyl-cat-back-exhaust-oers-series-megan-p-138569.html

Last edited by g22cd5; 08-07-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by LinguiniPenguini
Custom Fabrication is really the best bet. I have an '07 SE 2.4L and ran into the same problem, so I took it down to a local performance auto shop with a certified welder and 4 hours later I had a custom full cat-back with a magnaflow muffler. Custom fabrication also often turns out to be MUCH cheaper than kits, mine only cost 300$. If you are absolutely positive you want a kit though, Megan Racing does make a kit for the 2.4L, I'll include a link.

2003-2007 Honda Accord 4-Cyl Cat Back Exhaust OERS Series : Megan Ra -
Well I don't want a name brand kit, I just want something that will boost performance, looks, and it should sound good. As for the price, $300 is a very good price if it runs as good as a performance exhaust system.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by 07accord
Well I don't want a name brand kit, I just want something that will boost performance, looks, and it should sound good. As for the price, $300 is a very good price if it runs as good as a performance exhaust system.
also how do i know what kind of exhaust system i will need?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:54 PM

Since you are running a 4-cyl. (as am I), you only really need to be familiar with single exhaust routes. From the engine the exhaust starts at the exhaust manifold, goes through the catalytic converter, down a mid-pipe, through the muffler, and out the tailpipe. The basis of exhaust upgrades is the reduce as much back pressure (pressure caused by exhaust gasses getting restricted throughout the system) as possible, allowing the engine to work less to create more power. There are four basic exhaust mods that can achieve this, each produces a distinct sound and has varying levels of performance increase.

1. Header-Back Exhaust
A header-back exhaust replaces the stock exhaust manifold with exhaust headers- usually stainless steel pipes that offer a direct route for the gasses to go without causing back pressure. The headers then send the exhaust through a high-flow or standard catalytic converter (High Flow Cats aren't 50 state legal). After the cat, the gasses travel down a mid-pipe which is typically 2"-3" in diameter (the wider the pipe, the louder the exhaust). Finally, the gasses travel through the muffler and out the tailpipe. A Header-Back is so-called because it has enlarged pipes from the header, back to the tailpipe. This system provides the most performance increase.

2. Turbo-Back
Turbo backs offer the same as a header back, but do not have headers and offer enlarged piping from the turbo unit back. Since Honda Accords do not typically support turbo units a turbo-back system is redundant.

3. Cat-Back
A Cat-Back system is the same as a header-back, but uses the stock exhaust manifold. It offers enlarged pipes from the standard catalytic converter or a high flow cat, back to the tailpipe. This has a moderate performance increase.

4. Axle-Back
An axle-back system is usually only a high flow muffler with an enlarged pipe to the tailpipe. These are typically found on cars with Y pipes (Pipes that split the mid-pipe to give the visual effect of dual exhausts. It is so-called because the pipes are enlarged from the rear axle, back to the tailpipe. This has the least performance gain.

As far as which system is right is a matter of preference an pricing. An axle back and cat back usually run the same price, the difference is that an axle back does NOT include a midpipe, so if you run it on a standard midpipe it will be rather high pitched, also, axle backs are very uncommon on cars like the accord. The Header-back is very expensive, as you have to buy everything included in a cat back, but also headers which run about 3-400$. A cat back will produce a nice, throaty sound when accelerating, but smooths out when at constant speed. A header back is very similar in sound, but even more throaty when accelerating.

Other options that are out there that I do NOT at all recommend are straight-pipes, which are simply a 2"-4" midpipe connected to headers with no muffler or catalytic converter. Straight Pipes are very loud and do not sound good on anything smaller than 8 cylinders. Glass Packs are cheap, fiberglass tubes the replace a muffler, but eliminate so much back pressure that the oil rings on the pistons will fail and let oil out into the exhaust, causing smoke. Because of this, glass-packs are mostly used on trucks, where the back pressure is so strong the glass pack has little effect on the oil ring. Test pipes are also available. They replace the catalytic converter and are illegal in nearly every state and only approved for off-road or track use.

I reccomend asking the mechanic doing the install of your exhaust system about the state laws on catalytic converter regulations, though, most mechanics will not build a system that is illegal.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Since you are running a 4-cyl. (as am I), you only really need to be familiar with single exhaust routes. From the engine the exhaust starts at the exhaust manifold, goes through the catalytic converter, down a mid-pipe, through the muffler, and out the tailpipe. The basis of exhaust upgrades is the reduce as much back pressure (pressure caused by exhaust gasses getting restricted throughout the system) as possible, allowing the engine to work less to create more power. There are four basic exhaust mods that can achieve this, each produces a distinct sound and has varying levels of performance increase.

1. Header-Back Exhaust
A header-back exhaust replaces the stock exhaust manifold with exhaust headers- usually stainless steel pipes that offer a direct route for the gasses to go without causing back pressure. The headers then send the exhaust through a high-flow or standard catalytic converter (High Flow Cats aren't 50 state legal). After the cat, the gasses travel down a mid-pipe which is typically 2"-3" in diameter (the wider the pipe, the louder the exhaust). Finally, the gasses travel through the muffler and out the tailpipe. A Header-Back is so-called because it has enlarged pipes from the header, back to the tailpipe. This system provides the most performance increase.

2. Turbo-Back
Turbo backs offer the same as a header back, but do not have headers and offer enlarged piping from the turbo unit back. Since Honda Accords do not typically support turbo units a turbo-back system is redundant.

3. Cat-Back
A Cat-Back system is the same as a header-back, but uses the stock exhaust manifold. It offers enlarged pipes from the standard catalytic converter or a high flow cat, back to the tailpipe. This has a moderate performance increase.

4. Axle-Back
An axle-back system is usually only a high flow muffler with an enlarged pipe to the tailpipe. These are typically found on cars with Y pipes (Pipes that split the mid-pipe to give the visual effect of dual exhausts. It is so-called because the pipes are enlarged from the rear axle, back to the tailpipe. This has the least performance gain.

As far as which system is right is a matter of preference an pricing. An axle back and cat back usually run the same price, the difference is that an axle back does NOT include a midpipe, so if you run it on a standard midpipe it will be rather high pitched, also, axle backs are very uncommon on cars like the accord. The Header-back is very expensive, as you have to buy everything included in a cat back, but also headers which run about 3-400$. A cat back will produce a nice, throaty sound when accelerating, but smooths out when at constant speed. A header back is very similar in sound, but even more throaty when accelerating.

Other options that are out there that I do NOT at all recommend are straight-pipes, which are simply a 2"-4" midpipe connected to headers with no muffler or catalytic converter. Straight Pipes are very loud and do not sound good on anything smaller than 8 cylinders. Glass Packs are cheap, fiberglass tubes the replace a muffler, but eliminate so much back pressure that the oil rings on the pistons will fail and let oil out into the exhaust, causing smoke. Because of this, glass-packs are mostly used on trucks, where the back pressure is so strong the glass pack has little effect on the oil ring. Test pipes are also available. They replace the catalytic converter and are illegal in nearly every state and only approved for off-road or track use.

I reccomend asking the mechanic doing the install of your exhaust system about the state laws on catalytic converter regulations, though, most mechanics will not build a system that is illegal.
Doesn't cat back usually run in the $350-$500 range?...also were u referring to this cat-back exhaust?

raceinspired.com/p-10442-megan-racing-oe-rs-catback-exhaust-honda-accord-coupe-2d-2003-2007.aspx

Last edited by g22cd5; 08-07-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:58 PM

Yeah, a cat-back can run from 300$ to 1000$. Mine is custom fabricated so it cost me 300$. Kits are typically more expensive though because you pay for bolt on parts and adapters and the name brand, but I wouldn't pay more than 500$ on a cat back.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yeah, a cat-back can run from 300$ to 1000$. Mine is custom fabricated so it cost me 300$. Kits are typically more expensive though because you pay for bolt on parts and adapters and the name brand, but I wouldn't pay more than 500$ on a cat back.
So if I get the megan racing exhaust system and if I don't like the way it sounds then do you think I can just change out the muffler?

Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 AM

The muffler will determine the sound quality, so changing the muffler if you arent satisfied with the sound is an option

Old 08-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Supper Moderator

just buy the muffler of your choice. Then take it to a exhaust shop and have them make you a MANDREL bent exhaust. Should not cost more than $200 with you providing the muffler.

Quick Reply: 2007 Accord EX sedan 4-cylinder