Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

99 Accord EGR/Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Default 99 Accord EGR/Intake Manifold

My check engine light has been staying on, so I had the diagnostics checked. The code received was p0401, insufficient EGR flow. We replaced the EGR. The light stayed off for a few days, but is back on. I've been trying to do some research on this, and have come across a few things. One, I have read something about a recall due to this malfunction. Two, I have read this is a simple fix consisting of cleaning the ports connected to it. And finally, I read something about a severely clogged intake manifold. I know absolutely nothing about cars, nor how to fix them. I don't want to walk into a shop, though, and have them feed me a line of bs to charge me a ton of money for something that may be simple. Please, can someone help me...without laughing.

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
Supper Moderator

I'm not sure on your gen accord if you can clear the codes or if it does it for you by itself. But it's worth a try and see if your CEL comes back on. I might just be a stored code that randomly wants ot pop on.
That happens sometimes on my cb7 when I pop a cel if I don’t clear the code it will pop back even know the part has been replaced.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Since the light went out then came back on, that's because it cleared the error then came back because it wasn't fixed.

To reset ECU on 1998-2002, go find the fusebox at the right-end of the dashboard. Near the right-front door hinges. Pull fuse #13 for a minute or so then put it back.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:19 PM

The code does have to be cleared manually. My boyfriend did it even before I had him replace the part, but it would still come back on a few days later. It does the same thing now, after changing the part. I think it was basically pointless to change the part. Unless, the code is just stored, like you said, and keeps coming back up. Will pull the fuse next. When he reset the code, he did if differently. If anyone knows how to clean the carbon deposits of the intake manifold, we will try that next. I already wasted a hundred bucks on a part that may or may not have needed to be changed. I just hope I don't have to end up taking it into a shop.

Thanks for the help!!

Old 12-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

The code does not have to be cleared manually. If the problem is fixed, the ECU will probably realize that after several days of driving.

If the problem is not fixed, it's pointless to clear the code. It'll come back as soon as the ECU realizes it's not fixed. So unfortunately it looks like the new part wasn't the real problem.

That code P0401 usually is clogged ports rather than bad valve. There's other codes (P1491 or P1498) for other things.

V-6 or 4-cyl engine? Need to know before getting too specific.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Oh, I see. Like I said, I know nothing about cars. lol. Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that it is a V-6 3.0L. So then it doesn't sound like the intake? Just the ports? I've searched all over the internet about this. It seems to be a somewhat common problem. I guess if I new a little more about cars, all the info I have been reading wouldn't sound like French to me. So, if it's the ports, this is something I can have my boyfriend do, right?

Again, thanks for your help!

Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

The EGR ports are part of the intake manifold. Where the EGR valve goes, the passageways can get clogged with crud. But I don't know the V-6 real well, so hopefully someone will chime in here.