Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

air intake cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default air intake cleaner

so i had my SRI for about a month now, and i havn't cleaned the filter yet, and how often are you suppose to clean it? and the only place i can find the cleaner is online, can i get them anywhere else?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 AM
Default RE: air intake cleaner

Isn't it every 30,000 miles to clean it? I've wondered about the cleaning process too. Anyone know if it is necessary to buy AEM's cleaner or if it is possible to just use water and soap?

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can clean with dish soap and water if you want to. I get the K&N spray oil at Strauss Auto. I clean the filter twice a year, but I think you can go a full year between cleaning it.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 AM

If you have an AEM Dryflow filter, I would buy the cleaning kit. Have you checked with your local Advance Auto Parts store? The Advance here sells the Dryflow filters - I need to check with them about the cleaning kit cause I know I'll need one before too long.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:50 PM

ive got the Apexi filter (best filter ever) and its maintenance free, but i would just blow some compressed air from the inside out if i clean it.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:52 PM

I always hear you say Apexi is the best filter ever. Why?? Just wonderin....

Old 09-27-2007, 12:00 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Yeah, I had to order the kit online too. It was like $14 shipped. Advance, Auto Zone, CarQuest, and Napa don't carry it.

I used the AEM's kit simply because I would rather spend the $14 on their kit, knowing it will work and wont damage the engine. I did it because I thought my filter was dirty. After looking at the water...it wasn't. I will wait 30,000 miles unless I drive through a dust storm!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:16 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I always hear you say Apexi is the best filter ever. Why?? Just wonderin....
the design has shown to give the best gains/flow/filtration. theres a dyno somewhere. its like $100 at least for one of these. look at this http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I like the design, but I don't trust a filter that claims that it never needs to be cleaned or changed. I clean mine twice a year and it is always filthy when I do. CAI position helps add to the grime. For an hour a year, I'm ok with the oil-on-gause type. It's a well proven, time-tested technique for a high end filter .... but I do like the Apexi airflow design.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:22 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I like the design, but I don't trust a filter that claims that it never needs to be cleaned or changed. I clean mine twice a year and it is always filthy when I do. CAI position helps add to the grime. For an hour a year, I'm ok with the oil-on-gause type. It's a well proven, time-tested technique for a high end filter .... but I do like the Apexi airflow design.
my bros old K&N filter was always dirty too. its because of the oil use. Apexi is dry type and i wouldnt say its maintenance free...i clean mine every now and then. everything needs to be cleaned sometime. my mpg increased about 3-5 between city and hwy driving. the filter i had before was a Blitz type of filter, with the stainless steel mesh. which on the link i posted had good flow, but crappy filtration.

Quick Reply: air intake cleaner