Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Catalytic Converter Problem OBD II

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Default Catalytic Converter Problem OBD II

I had my check engine light on for a couple weeks, i then went to my mechanic for diagnostic.
He told me that my catylytic converter needed to be replaced.

I have a 98 accord Cp LX V6, 93k mi. Just had 90k service at the dealer.

He said he can get me an oem part for 550+labor and honda's costs 800+L. i was shocked at the price tag.
i called few places and negotiated a price at midas for around 350 installed.
The Midas invoice states it was a obd ii converter.
This was replaced saturday.

Saturday Afternoon, Iwent back to my mechanic who diagnosed the check engine light to get it turned off / reset.
Few starts later,gas fill up &30mi later,

Sunday afternoon the light is back on!!! FFF**&^Y&*^*&
I go back to my mechanic, he said that the part Midas got me is inferior and i shouldhave trusted him.

my question now, wat do i do?
midas claimed a 12 month warranty. what will they do? i do not want to pay extra labor as they are the one who gave me a defective part. they may claim thatit is something else thatis wrong, that is triggering the light. how do i approach this?

i know i should have trusted my own mechanic but his price was just too high. well i'm willing to payit, but what about the 350 that i paid to midas? Most likely they threw out my original past, what do i do now? are they obligated to fix it w/o charging me more??? how much refund do they owe me if any? i'm about to do a chargeback on my cc for nonservice rendered if corporate won't help me. what are my rights??
[:@][:@]

Old 01-05-2007, 02:34 PM
Default RE: Catalytic Converter Problem OBD II

i have the same problem cuz i have magnaflo cat. converter....hmmm

Old 01-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Midas should warranty their work, if you asked them to replace it to fix an issue and they said that it would and it didn't then they need to repair it, Are you sure that it's the cat and not the O2 sensor? When using an aftermarket, less restrictive cat it can throw out that code and then you have two options, replace it with a better one or get an 02 emulator (do a search you'll find it)... Or just deal with the light (not recommended)

If the cat really is the problem and they gave you a defective one (I.E. It doesn't operate at specs) then they should warranty their parts and labor

Old 01-08-2007, 03:45 AM

the only thing that i know is that the temp is fluctuating per midas (as they showed it to me, by that reasoning, they claiming the CC is good).

my mechanic told me to get CC replaced, i did it at midas, apparently they installed a universal one as my mechanic wanted to charge way more for an oem.
i do not know the definition of working or not as i had my sensors replaced yesterday (another 300+ out of my wallet)

well same story, reset light, next day, light came back on.

i'm getting very frustrated as i have now spent 700 w/ no resolution.

Old 01-12-2007, 11:37 PM

so, what now? any suggestions?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 AM

make sure the sensors are specified for your vehicle. .OEM is the way to go. Well my check engine has now been off for 5 days i believe. .that was weird how in those 3 days it was going on and off. .

Old 01-13-2007, 05:25 AM

go back to midas cause they should warrenty their work just like sir_nasty said. you paid them to fix a problem, and as what you stated after the install, they didnt. go back and tell them to fix it for you w/o charge.