Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Catalytic Convertor

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Default Catalytic Convertor

Hi All,

I appreciate all the good advice I have gotten from this forum. I have another issue with my car. My Check Engine Light came on and it is Code PO420. That is telling me my catalytic convertor needs to be replaced. I am wondering can I replace this myself or would it be best to take it into the shop for this kind of repair. I have called the local muffler shops and they want about 400 Dollars installed. I can buy the part from the local parts store for 159.00. But I looked under the car and the bolts look all rusted. What does everyone recommend? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Catalytic Convertor

its not all too hard to replace yourself, if the bolts break off it makes it a little bit difficult, then a torch is usually necessary, you can easily cheat the ECU into thinking the cat is doing its job with a o2 cheater for cheap money

Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM

well its not really that difficult..i think you just need to soak those rusted bolts with WD40 and just be carefull not to damage the bolts...

but other than that its..easy..only thing thats will be tricky is removing the bolts

Old 08-01-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks guy for the advice and tips. I mean they look rusted on there. What would be a good lubricant besides wd40 to remove them? Any other types? Thanks.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

try some pb blaster or liquid wrench.

Old 08-06-2008, 03:04 AM

What's stopping you from just getting under there and messing with it?

Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ADVICE: Be very careful to not break the o2 sensor!!! It's expensive!!! Lots of PB Blaster there!!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Well what it stopping me is the fact I am pretty strong and I have been known to break bolts off. PITA if you know what I mean, but you guys have given me great advice so I think I might attempt it. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:27 AM

Well I was going to buy the catalytic convertor and I was at the dealer buying some atf-z1 and talking to the parts guy and he stated that all the aftermarket catalytic convertors he has seen will throw out a check engine. He stated to me to buy a Honda catalytice convertor and not buy an aftermarket. Is this true? Thoughts?

Old 08-16-2008, 12:52 PM

yeah its true that it will throw a check engine light if you go with the aftermarket cat..but theres a way around that...i think you can just go to a local mufflershop and have them make the thing that tricks the o2 sensor so that the CEL wont come on..i forgot what its called and im out of words so sorry if this wasnt clear enough...

Quick Reply: Catalytic Convertor