Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your Accord breathe better here.

Catalytic Convertor

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Default RE: Catalytic Convertor

Does anyone know this trick to fix the CEL with aftermarket catalytic conertors? It still does not make sense at all.I do not know why you would replace the CAT and it still will the CEL lighr on a new part. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:46 PM

because if your just buying the cheap "high flow" converters on ebay or somthing like that your thats just a pipe..thats i am almost certain that its the same as test pipe..and test pipes..thats y if you got those kinds your CEL will most certainly light on..

Old 08-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Well I am talking about buying a cat let's say at Autozone and there is this supposed fix, but I do not see it at all and talking to the guys at Honda they even get cars in from Midas and Meineke that the CEL keeps coming on according to what I have seen...Anymore information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Orionis
Unregistered

Not too long ago I had to replace the Cat on my 98 Accord. Went with one from Random Technology. The CEL has not come on since. Has been about 2 months now.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM

You can not just soak those bolts in WD40 that will do nothing. WD40 is a lubricant not a rust penetrate. You best bet is to get a Torch and cut the old bolts out put the new cat in with new bolts. It is not hard at all. It is fairly simple. You will need a Torch though. A High flow cat would work fine, a cat from catco would be good also.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: accrd94ex

You can not just soak those bolts in WD40 that will do nothing. WD40 is a lubricant not a rust penetrate. You best bet is to get a Torch and cut the old bolts out put the new cat in with new bolts. It is not hard at all. It is fairly simple. You will need a Torch though. A High flow cat would work fine, a cat from catco would be good also.
Sorry bud ..... a little wrong info there. WD40 is a penetrant and cleaner, not a lubricant. The name WD40 means that it was the 40th formula that they tried for Water Displacement. PB Blaster works better, but WD40 will free up stuck bolts. Supposedly PB Blaster is magnetically charged to penetrate better, deeper and faster, but I find it hard to believe that any spray liquid could hold a magnetic charge.

I've seen some small operation penetrants that outperform PB, but for something that is easy to find, PB Blaster is the way to go to loosen bolts. WD40 also works and tends to already be in many households ...... 3-4 cans scattered around in various places in my case.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Default New Leak

Sorryit has been a while since I have been on here, but I decided to wait until summer to work on my cat, but now I have some other news with my exhaust. I now have an exhaust leak. I just put this muffler on three years ago on 12/15/2005 to be exact. I had Mieneke put it on for me and it only comes with a one year warranty. I am tired of these cheap mufflers that rust in less then three years time. So while I am working on the cat I want to do the muffler as well. Is there a DIY thread on how to install the cat and the muffler and what brand of muffler would you guys reccomend (I want to keep it stock sounding. NO FART CANS.)? Thanks all.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM

You will probably pay the same amount for a replacement exhaust as you would aftermarket performance. There are GReddy and Apex'i exhausts that are fairly quiet and are stainless steel so they won't rust (as fast). I'm pretty sure is the GReddy SP 2 and the Apex'i WS 2...

Also, I have the same code and exhaust leak and I'm just lazy. Neither effect the car's reliability, so I just leave it be.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 AM

Thanks Finch13 I understand as it does bother me as I can not stand when I am driving down the road and my car is farting as the leak has gotten worse while driving. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 AM

Yeah, my leak is tiny still so I can only hear it when I listen carefully. I think in 98, Honda started a lifetime exhaust warranty or maybe it was just the muffler. Something like that.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Convertor